It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

guy983 HB User
Question on recent lab results

Hi all,

I have posted here before about my wife's Thyroid issue and I wanted to know if her recent lab results would pose any health issues. They are:

TSH-3.06
T4 Free-0.9
T3 Free-304
T3 Reverse-26
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody-12

Based on these results, would there be any health issues that could be possible relating to her thyroid?
Thanks so much.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Question on recent lab results

Hi, Can you please post the ranges that go with those lab results? Then, we can see where her results are within the range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
(male)

guy983 HB User

Sure..the reason that I didn't is because everyone's range is different but here they are:

TSH-3.06-Clinical Range:0.35-5.50 Healthy Range:2.50-5.0
Now, on the clinical range, there has been much controversy as far as what the "normal" range should be. One study suggested that 3.8 should be to the normal range. Maybe they are wanting to make more money off of meds, I don't know. Just going by what my wife tells me.

T4 Free-0.9 Reference Range: 0.8-1.8 Didn't give a healthy range number.

T3 Free-304- Reference Range: 230-420
T3 Reverse-26-Reference Range: 11-32
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody-12- Reference Range: 35

The thing that perplexes me is that 2 days prior to this test, her TSH was supposedly 4.96. The one that she had 2 days prior to the most recent one was done in the doctors office and this last one, we went directly to Quest Labs. So, I don't know how it can be that much different in 2 days unless the TSH level flucuates all the time in which I don't know.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The ranges matter precisely because every lab has their own standard. It's where the result falls within the particular range that matters. Comparing these results to a different range can take on a completely different meaning. Always post ranges and results.

TSH does fluctuate on a daily basis, as much as 3 full points in 24 hours for some people. The point is, your wife's is higher than a healthy person. Her FT4 is low; it should be 1.3 or higher, and her FT3 should be 325 or better. If she is having hypothyroid symptoms, she should be treated for it.

Trust me, no one in the medical community is trying to make people who aren't hypothyroid look like they are in order to make money. Thyroid hormone is dirt cheap compared to all the "fashion" drugs of the moment that are meant only to disguise the symptoms of a curable disease like hypoT. If they fix the hypoT, they don't get kickbacks from all that other garbage. If the Mrs. can get a diagnosis with these labs, she should grab it and hold on with all her might. If it happens, she's one lucky woman.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
(male)

guy983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The ranges matter precisely because every lab has their own standard. It's where the result falls within the particular range that matters. Comparing these results to a different range can take on a completely different meaning. Always post ranges and results.

TSH does fluctuate on a daily basis, as much as 3 full points in 24 hours for some people. The point is, your wife's is higher than a healthy person. Her FT4 is low; it should be 1.3 or higher, and her FT3 should be 325 or better. If she is having hypothyroid symptoms, she should be treated for it.

Trust me, no one in the medical community is trying to make people who aren't hypothyroid look like they are in order to make money. Thyroid hormone is dirt cheap compared to all the "fashion" drugs of the moment that are meant only to disguise the symptoms of a curable disease like hypoT. If they fix the hypoT, they don't get kickbacks from all that other garbage. If the Mrs. can get a diagnosis with these labs, she should grab it and hold on with all her might. If it happens, she's one lucky woman.
Ok, what do you mean that my wife's is higher than a healthy person? I'm not sure I understood that. Also, on the reference range that I had given, the T3 Free, T4 Free, and the T3 reverse were all in range..according to what I am reading. Now, like I said, there are so many different clinical ranges out there and that's why I was asking my original question.
So, what did you mean by if my wife could get a diagnosis with these labs to hold onto it with all her might?? and if what happens she's a lucky woman? I'm sorry, I'm just not following here I guess. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

For years thyroid advocates have been pushing for an adjustment in the lab ranges for TSH. There are numerous studies out there that show that a normal range TSH not only doesn't rule out hypothyroidism but can be actually dangerous for a person's health, especially women. Look up the Norwegian Hunt study that shows that a TSH over 1.4 resulted in a 40 to 60% increase in death in women. Also the most recent study in England that shows that a TSH over .4 in patients taking thyroxine increases risk for cardiovascular disease, fractures, and dysrhythmias. So your wife's level of 3.06 is quite high, and higher than mine was when I was diagnosed hypothyroid. Doctors have not caught on to this sadly, as the wheels of change move very slowly in medicine, in large because certain entities tend to profit greatly from the treatment of all the offshoots of untreated hypothryoidism as well as from selling the flawed TSH test.

Your wife's free T3 levels are only at 39% of range which is very low. Again the ranges for the free T3, free T4 testing are not correct and have to be interpreted as to where in the range you fall, not that being "in range" represents a healthy level like most other lab tests. Most feel their best when FT3 levels are up in the top third of range or at the very top of range. FT4 levels need to be about halfway up the range or a little higher to indicate the thyroid is producing enough of this hormone to convert to T3. Also getting a vitamin D and B12 level is a good idea as well as ferritin; these all tend to be low with hypothyroidism and must be corrected if they are. And a TG antibody test should be run as well as not all autoimmune thyroid disease shows with TPO antibodies.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by javelina; 04-20-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
(male)

guy983 HB User

I guess my question is, is this a life threatening problem that slowly grows over time if left untreated? She doesn't really feel bad but then we don't really know or understand what symptoms really are or at least the most common symptoms. So many mixed messages on this subject it seems.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-13-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
(male)

guy983 HB User

My wife had the antibody tested and she had the result of 12 and according to the "range" it said that she needed to be under 35 but like I have stated in past posts..everyone has a different reference range and how do you know which is the correct one? They symptoms that you listed, I know that she has had IBS off and on for years and has always had dry skin since she has allergies. She said that she has had dry skin since she was very young so in other words, how can they contribute those type of symptoms to the Thyroid when it could be so many other things or maybe just the way that individual is you know what I am saying? It's just like getting a headache..that could be many many reason as to why a person gets a headache and yet depending on what kind of Dr. you see about it, that Dr. treats it as a symptom that's within their specialty. Kind of like if you go to 10 different Dr's for the same thing, you're going to get 10 different med and diagnosis depending like I said on their specialty.

Modern medicine is so confusing because what may be abnormal for onr person, may be perfectly normal for the next and yet Dr's seem to lump everyone together and the one pill will fix all is administered and I'm just not sure if I buy into that because every persons body is different and I have yet to meet a Dr. who really takes the time and I mean really takes the time into getting to know a person so well, that they treat that person accordingly. Most Dr's that I have seen, just push you through the system so that they can see more patients...well...I'm not going to go there but you get the picture. So again, thank you for the info. It's always good to hear others experiences and what their Dr's had to say about things. Take Care.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-13-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
(female)

april mendoza HB User

u are right it depends on laboratory range,seems that is normal nothing to worry.but if ur wife is worried try to check FT4 and TSH again,at least 2-3 months after the last test.check some sign and symptoms...wait gain,laziness etc if hypo and opposite if hyper..

Closed Thread