It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

alberta41 HB User
thyroid uptake scan results

Here is the report from the thyroid uptake scan. I am so frustrated as I went off my meds to get this done, because upon an ultrasound they found 2 nodules..I am hypothyroid.

FINDINGS: due to low uptake values as described below, anterior and oblique images demonstrate a poorly-visualized gland with the inferior border above the level of the suprasternal notch. With the low uptake there is no definite dominant hyperfunctioning nodularity. Due to the low uptake, images are inadequate for evaluation of cold nodularity. There is no clear focal increased uptake within the visualized neck outside of the thyroid bed. Measured radioiodine uptake values are the following:
4 hour uptake:2.6% (normal reference range: 5 to 15%)
24 hour uptake: 1% (normal reference range: 10 to 25%)

IMPRESSION:
Overall thyroid radioiodine uptake values are abnormally low. However, this probably due to her presumed baseline hypothyroidism rather than residual suppression of uptake from her thyroid medication (temporality stopped taking about 3 weeks ago). Consequently, the low uptake on imaging is inadequate for evaluation of nodularity, although no definite dominant hyperfunctioning nodule is noted..

I am bummed as it seems like it is just a big circle here, I went off of my meds to get this test done and then what I'm reading is that the uptake is low due to being off of my meds.. Can anyone help interpret this for me?

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
(female)

arletta HB User
Question Re: thyroid uptake scan results

Ok.I'm in the same situation. My results read as follows. Not quit sure I understand. FINDINGS: region of relative increase uptake seen in the bilateral thyroid lobe with minimal uptake in the remainder of the bilateral thyroid lobe parenchyma. 4 hr uptake 5% with 24hr uptake of 8.5%.
IMPRESSION: 1. Suppressed 24hr uptake consistent withhypothyroidism.
2. Relative focal increase/ normal activity within area of mid right thyroid nodule as described on prior ultrasound.

I'm really confused.
HELP!
ARLETTA

Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

alberta41 HB User
Re: thyroid uptake scan results

Yes, It sounds like your thyroid isn't functioning either. I knew mine wasn't. I am on .175mcg of synthroid for a couple of years. I just wanted to know if the nodules were hot or cold..The uptake scan didn't prove anything one way or the other

Closed Thread