It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

andeflora HB User
Low end of normal but all symptoms, is dr wrong?

I just got test results back and my tsh is .8 and my free T4 is .8 as well. I have many symptoms of hypo, but my dr (my obgyn) said it's nothing. I have horrible dry itchy skin, im always exhausted, hair is falling out, scalp is flaking and itchy all of the time (I have tried all the different shampoos my hair stylist told me to with no help), my periods are all over the place, and in 2 mths I have gained 20lbs. And in the last 4 years I have gained 70lbs. Until I was 23 I was 106lbs and wore a size zero. No matter how many miles I run a day or how many salads I eat I keep gaining weight...

I realize my numbers are at the bottom of the normal range, but does that mean that I don't have hypothyroidism or am I borderline hypo? Should I seek a second opinion or see an endocrinologist????

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Low end of normal but all symptoms, is dr wrong?

What is the lab range for the free T4? You definitely sound hypo and I suspect your free T4 is right at the bottom of range when it should be nearer the middle or in the top half of range. It sounds like your doc is going by your TSH alone, which is not a good way to guage how hypo you are. See about getting some more testing done, specifically Free T3, TPO and TG antibodies, ferritin, vitamin D and B12 levels. You may not get your doctor to agree to treat and quite frankly endos tend to be pretty poor at diagnosing and treatment as well. You will need to find an open minded practitioner who realizes that good testing and patient symptoms are important for diagnosis and that treatment is warranted if free T3 and free T4 levels are low in range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

andeflora HB User

The dr said normal was .7 to 2.0. As a kid I had an androgen imbalance, would this have anything to do with my thyroid?!? If my TSH is low wouldn't that point to HyperT not HypoT? but I feel all of the symptoms. My husband always complains that I make it too hot in the house, but I am always FREEZING!!!! My hands and feet are like icicles, even in summer.

There is a endo my mom sees and she said she is great, only problem is when I called 2 weeks ago she wasn't booking appointments until October! I don't think i want to wait that long. I am toooooo tired of this. It's only gotten really bad in the last 2 months.

I will try to find an endo that can get me in sooner. Thank you so very much for your help!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
(female)

andeflora HB User

I should mention I have endometriosis and had gestational diabetes 2 years ago. Endometriosis is pretty bad, dr suggested total hysterectomy. I hear endometriosis can effect hypoT.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know if your hypothyroidism is related to your androgen imbalance as a kid or not but with a free T4 just above the bottom of range you are very hypo. With the these thyroid hormone tests it's where in the range you fall that's important and most feel best when FT4 is midway in range and FT3 is high in range. The low TSH can be either from an autoimmune issue or a pituitary problem, but if you were hyperthyroid your FT4 would be very high in range, not low and you wouldn't be feeling cold. Further testing can shed more light on this.
Ask the recommended Endo's office if they can put you on a cancellation list and maybe you can get in earlier.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
(female)

andeflora HB User

Thank you so much! I will call tomorrow and see if I can get in sooner. I'm glad that I am not crazy. I having been thinking about this all day and I feel hypo, but dr dismissed very quickly. She didn't want to test me in the first place, but I insisted. Because I read an article that stated 42% of women with endometrosis are also hypoT. About a year ago my eye dr told me that he could see a lump on my thyroid but I didn't think anything of it.

Thank you again! It is so nice to hear I am not crazy thinking my dr is wrong.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeflora View Post
I should mention I have endometriosis and had gestational diabetes 2 years ago. Endometriosis is pretty bad, dr suggested total hysterectomy. I hear endometriosis can effect hypoT.
Endometriosis is pretty common with hypothyroidism (I have had it too) as are many other reproductive disorders. HypoT can affect many body systems.

You should also get an ultrasound of your thyroid.

Last edited by javelina; 04-19-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
(female)

andeflora HB User

Wow the fun we women have! LOL

i am glad to know I am not alone!!!!!!!! I will try to get in with a dr soon and get more test. Let ya know what I find out.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Just my thoughts,I am not a doctor.Sometimes our symptoms do not match our blood test results.You sound like you are hypothyroid.You could make an appt with your family doctor and tell him/her whats going on with your symptoms and have some blood tests done there.Make sure they test for all the thyroid stuff.If you cannot get anyplace with your family doctor you can try another.There are some good thyroid books for you to read...Could it Be My Thyroid by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD...Living with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon...you can get your library to order them for you or do the same at your bookstore.I am hypothyroid and had endometrosis in the past.I had a hysterectomy for a fibroid.Please let us know what happens and I hope you feel better soon with a doctor to help you.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
(female)

andeflora HB User

I have made an appointment with an endocrinologist for May 5th so i will get a complete thyroid work up done and get my glucose tested too, since I had gestational diabetes and haven't check it in a while. I really hope this doc takes all of my symptoms into consideration along with the tests. If he does think I am hypoT what will he do? Meds?

Thank you all so much for all of your help, support, encouragement and answers!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Glad you have an appt soon,thyroid meds is the best if you are hypothyroid.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I will mention that your androgen and thyroid problems (and perhaps some others) may be connected to pituitary dysfunction. Your TSH is pretty low in comparison to your very low FT4. That would indicate that your pituitary isn't putting out as much hormone as it's supposed to be.

If the new endo says that your thyroid is "fine" (as he is likely to do), press the issue of pituitary dysfunction.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
(female)

andeflora HB User

I will... thank you so much for the help!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
(female)

Wrkg Mom HB User

I'm curious as to what happened with your case. My numbers are almost identical to yours and I live in the deep south and have my space heater on full blast as I speak and am wearing a sweater and coat and am still shivering. Both my gen pract. and gyno said my numbers were "normal" and I can't get in to see the endo until June.
I was wondering if you had any success and if so, what/how?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
(female)

andeflora HB User

My endo said they were borderline, and he was not going to do anything about it. I still have all of the same problems. I recently have a full hysterectomy at the age of 30 and even though most people have hot flashes with menopause, that is not so with me. I was hoping for hot flashes so I wasn't so cold all of the time. My hands are like ice and I am constantly cold. But the endo looks at the numbers and NOT the symptoms. Good luck!!!!!

Closed Thread