It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

nbay001 HB User
Is it possible to have a TSH of 3.99 and not need Thyroid Meds

I went to the doctor 8 weeks ago complaining about fatigue. She sent me to the lab.

My TSH was 3.99, Free T4: 1.2 and TRIIODOTHYRONINE - TRUE: 115.

I also was diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes, which I am treating effectively with diet.

I started with .05 of Levothroid...didn't really notice anything except i felt kind of spacy the first several days...but the fatigue didn't go away..then after 6 weeks my doctor upped me to double dose. Now I still feel fatigue along with anxiety, insomnia...Yikes! So, I asked her today should I be considering other tests or another medicine/brand. Her response was to stop taking the drug and seek therapy for anxiety. hmmmm.

A little background...Except for some normal bio-identical hrt, I haven't had meds or even seen a doctor in 10 years. That is my disclaimer, because I can see how quickly one can be labeled a hypochrondriac or doctor jumper. This is not my experience.

My question is, can a person have the TSH number I do and NOT need thyroid medicine. Could that be my normal (for me) number and taking medicine is messing me up.

Thanks much!!

Paula

Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
(female)

erikab2231 HB User
Re: Is it possible to have a TSH of 3.99 and not need Thyroid Meds

did you have your antibodies checked? when i first went to the endo my tsh was 3.49 but the doc said i should go on levo b/c my antibodies were high, so he said i'd need it sooner or later anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Your high TSH and symptoms point to hypothyroidism. Your doc is not a good thyroid doc if she wants you to discontinue the meds and go on antidepressants because her treatment isn't working. You will have to press for good treament and find a doctor who knows what she's doing.

What are the lab ranges for the free T3 and free T4 (at least I'm assuming that Triiodothyronine "true" is a free T3?). Also you need to test your ferritin, vitamin D and B12 levels and, as was mentioned above, your antibodies. There is more to this than just starting on Levo for many of us and further testing is warranted.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
(female)

nbay001 HB User

I agree that I need to move away from this doctor. It was her idea to put me on Thyroid medicine. I had never even heard of TSH before this all started. And now that I am saying the medicine makes me feel bad, apparently I need therapy for stress. I am assuming given my combination of pre-diabetes and thyroid I should as a matter of course, be seeing a Endo?

Thanks for listening and responding.

Hugs,

Paula

Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Unfortunately many, many people here have been disappointed with endos. They can be good at treating diabetes but terrible with thyroid treatment. Many find that more holistic doctors are better with thyroid as they can think outside the box and are open to doing the right testing.

See if you can find any doctor to test you correctly to look for underlying problems, monitor your treatment and raise your dose appropriately. Some don't do well with the T4 you are currently on and need a T3/T4 combination like desiccated thyroid. There's an awful lot to learn about this disorder and it's truly in your best interest to educate yourself as much as possible. There are some very informative posts here and on other forums and websites about this, you will need to sort out the truth from fiction and realize that everyone has different experiences and reacts differently to various treatments. But the key is to make sure that any underlying problems are identified and treated as well as the thyroid (adrenals, vitamin and mineral deficiencies) or your thyroid hormone replacement may not work.

Closed Thread