It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

snopea HB User
thyroid nodule...should I have it removed????

Hi Everyone!

I've had HyperThyroidism off and on for the last 2years. For the most part it's been borderline Hyper T. It hasn't been bad enough for prescribed meds.
I do have a 2.5cm nodule on my thryoid. I've had 3 ultra sounds and Thyroid scan BUT no biopsy. They are confident that it is not cancerous.

Doctors said I should have half of my thryoid removed because it could , Possibly, get bigger and I could feel worse.

What do you think????does it get worse??? should I have this surgery??

Please help!
thanks so much

Last edited by snopea; 04-22-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: thyroid nodule...should I have it removed????

I cringed when I read the size of your nodule, as it is the same size of my cancerous nodule, and I don't know how, even if it were a "hot" nodule, without an FNA, (can't imagine why nobody's done it, I wouldn't use those doctors for removal surgery, because it's a simple easy procedure) that any doctor can be "confident" it's not cancer, when the truth is, there's just no way of knowing without removal.

You haven't been feeling so good with that thyroid in your body, it doesn't seem easy to regulate. If you are otherwise healthy, I would definitely consider getting it out, even possibly the entire thyroid, and regulating with medication which might be easier than fighting on and off hyperthyroidism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

snopea HB User

Thanks Reece for getting back to me. They said i have a Hot nodule...was your's hot as well? Did you say the surgery was an easy procedure? I'm a little nervous about it.
I don't feel to badly, so it' hard to take something out when I feel okay, but I am waiting for a surgery date. It might be in June.

The surgeon asked if I wanted the whole thing out but once everything is gone, it's gone! Do you think it's easier to regulate with the whole thing gone?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Mine was actually cold, but my friend who had thyroid cancer surgery the same month as me (unfortunately, she's my "cancer buddy", but doing well now too) had a "hot" nodule that was under 1cm, that they insisted wasn't cancer. Then she had to have 2 surgeries, and had a more difficult time than I (I had the whole thing out).

I am managing pretty well for the past 5.5 years well on meds only with no thyroid, and I have a pretty responsive endo. that works with me if I have any issues.

Not that a healthy thyroid needs to be removed for nothing, but there are many people who keep the other lobe, and sometimes we see them here years later with issues on the second lobe, so it's not such a bad idea to have it out and never worry again.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

snopea HB User

Thanks so much Reece...I will have to really think about my sitauation and possibly taking the other side out too. Still not sure...but something to consider!
Thanks for you input..I really aprreciate it and I'm glad you are doing well!!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
(female)

snopea HB User

Hi Reece!

Just wondering, your friend that had the HOT cancerous nodule...did she have alot of hyper/hypo symtoms before she got treated? or nothing really?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Despite the "hot" nodule, she was hypo due to hashis, and she was treated for that, so she didn't have any symptoms.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
(female)

snopea HB User

having half a thyroid or a full thyroid out, is it hard to stabilize your meds? I'm so worried that I'm not on any meds now and I'm feeling really good dispite the lump and when they take it out, I'm going to go down hill and the meds won't help because my levels are going to be all over the place...e.c.t. do you know if stuff like this happens alot or is it rare?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
(female)

ldupbeat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Mine was actually cold, but my friend who had thyroid cancer surgery the same month as me (unfortunately, she's my "cancer buddy", but doing well now too) had a "hot" nodule that was under 1cm, that they insisted wasn't cancer. Then she had to have 2 surgeries, and had a more difficult time than I (I had the whole thing out).

I am managing pretty well for the past 5.5 years well on meds only with no thyroid, and I have a pretty responsive endo. that works with me if I have any issues.

Not that a healthy thyroid needs to be removed for nothing, but there are many people who keep the other lobe, and sometimes we see them here years later with issues on the second lobe, so it's not such a bad idea to have it out and never worry again.
This has been my concern. I have four nodules, one at 2.2 cm and one at 1.8 cm. The 1.8 is a cold nodule. The FNA said "suggestive" benign. Since I have one big and one small on both sides of the thyroid the ENT suggested that if I have surgery, taking the whole thyroid out. I was concerned with having to be on thyroid hormone the rest of my life (I'm 47). Has this been difficult?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Took a while to get to the right dose, but once I got there, I've been fine on hormone for over 5 years. Many people live on this hormone, many people you know and don't realize it.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
(female)

VSpark HB User
Smile Re: thyroid nodule...should I have it removed????

I am not a doctor and I am only speaking from my own experience with hyperthyroidism and thyroid nodules. Like you, I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which seems to have resolved itself over time without any medical intervention. I did have accupuncture which I believe did help with the problem.
I had the fine needle aspirate (or whatever they call sticking a fine needle in the nodule and extracting a sample for testing is called). The tests were negative for cancer. I believe that it is not common for the nodules to be cancerous. The doctor told me this. The reason why I was tested was because the ultrasound detected some calcification in the nodule.
My thinking in my own case was "Don't remove it unless there is nothing else that can be done." I cannot advise you because I am not a doctor and your nodules may be different to mine. But, I would not rush into getting surgery or anything else that destroys part of my thyroid gland. Once you do that there is not hope of restoring the gland back to normal. I highly recommend accupuncture by an experienced practitioner.

Last edited by VSpark; 05-24-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
(female)

Yannick HB User

Snopea
I would insist on a Fine Needle Biopsy. My nodule was 3.2 cm and the FNA results were inconclusive. The FNA biopsy was seen by 3 pathologists who could not determine if it was benign or malignant. I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed last week and I am anxiously waiting for the biopsy results.
Good luck to you. At least, get another opinion regarding your nodule.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
(female)

rellschik352 HB User

I need a thyroidectomy too. Docs found many nodules and 2 that were 2.0cm so surgery seems to be the only cure. My problem is one- I Sing and have been since for over 30 years professionally. And 2 I'm just nervous about the entire procedure. After reading here that you cannot talk and barely sing makes me think NOT to get thyroidectomy. Over all I will get surgery consultation next Monday the 13th and I will keep you posted. I will have the surgery for sure. Just worried about outcome and PAIN~

Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
(female)

cheryltwin HB Usercheryltwin HB User

rellschik... i am also living with a 5cm nodule for over 5 years... had fna (no sign of cancer), radioactive scan (cold nodule)... just feel like it's a huge chance to take out something that might be fine... i have no obvious symptoms besides a lump in the front of my neck... yes, that bothers me cosmetically, but that's just vanity... don't want to live thru the medication regulation part of things... but mostly scared of the vocal cord issues since i am a teacher... that's my only source of income and can't be without a voice... so we'll see how things go! best of luck to you...

Closed Thread