It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Unhappy Where do I go from here?

I thought I would be happy my dr. is deciding to treat my thyroid,but she really didn't give me any advice or explain my blood work to me.
Just called in 50mg levothyroxine sodium once a day.Didn't tell me what to do if I have problems.Didn't say when to get retested to see if the levels were better.

She also has me on 20 mg of Prozac and I have been reading online it can interfere with thyroid meds.Is this true? She didn't tell me what to do about that.I usually take the prozac in the morning because it is energizing.The levothyroxine also says to take in the morning on an empty stomach.So what do I do? I know it would be a bad idea to take them both together...
I know docs are busy,but I feel like she kinda blew me off.

What can I expect by starting this therapy? I'm reading some people feel worse and it's freaking me out some.
I lost ten pounds with the prozac and I'm scared the levothyroxine is gonna cause weight gain.

I do have hypo symptoms,but is a 5.630 Tsh reading really need hormone replacement?

Also,I really think I inadvertently caused my hypo thyroid.
I know it sounds crazy~but I was taking a melatonin supplement for about 6 months straight every night.
That is when I really started feeling different...
I was crying,tired,irritable, cold,gaining weight,breasts grew two sizes,couldn't concentrate,felt slow,dry skin,no sweating,with excessive exercise and dieting could not lose one single pound...

I finally stopped taking the melatonin,and then I lose 3 pounds.Once on prozac,I lost ten more.

Most websites claim melatonin is safe,but I found this info

Melatonin side effects include decreased sperm count and motility, and women attempting to become pregnant should not take melatonin because it may decrease their fertility. Use of this supplement also may result in a decreased sex drive. Breast enlargement in men taking melatonin has been reported, according to the NIH. Other hormonal effects associated with melatonin supplements include decreases or increases in progesterone, estradiol, thyroid hormone, growth hormone, prolactin, cortisol and others. Taking melatonin supplements during pregnancy may raise melatonin levels high enough to increase the risk of developmental disorders. Breastfeeding women also should not take melatonin as it can be transferred to the baby.

Increases or decreases in thyroid hormone and progesterone...two things that cause all the symptoms I had! Awfully big coincidence otherwise.Any thoughts?

Last edited by WhenItRains; 04-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Where do I go from here?

Hi, I am sorry you are going thru all this. I can only comment on the Prozac that you are taking.

If it is an SSRI, it might suppress the thyroid function. Meaning, you would need more levothyroxine. You might want to search SSRIs.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Thanks.I can't find much on it.Just that it could either increase or decrease function.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

There are certain things you cannot take with your thyroid medicine. I wouldn't take the Prozac with it, in case it might interfere.You might want to look up drug interactions.

Wait 4 hours to take any vitamins, iron etc. Stay away from soy, it suppresses thyroid function. Even nondairy coffee creamer has soy in it, but I only use a small amount in my coffee in the morning.

Next time you go in for bloodtests, in which will be 6 to 8 weeks....you will need the Ft4 and Ft3 tests along with your TSH.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I didn't find any interactions with prozac,only Zoloft.It just said Prozac may effect the absorption,and that I may need a higher or lower dose.

I took levothyroxine for the first time this morning and didn't take my prozac until afternoon.I felt kinda panic after taking it and had to take xanax and then take a nap.I don't know if it was side effects or if I just made myself anxious cuz I was worried about taking it.

Later in the day,towards the evening,I actually felt really good though.Better then I have in a long time.It's not possible it works that fast,is it? I know the label says up to 4-6 weeks before full benefits may be felt.But I felt...lighter,and more focused.Hopefully it wasn't just placebo effect!

Closed Thread