It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

Hersheykiss HB User
Birth control making thyroid worse?

I'll try to keep this short. I am 40, on Synthroid and started taking BCP in December for anxiety/PMS problems (which I blame on the Synthroid to begin with). I started on Loestrin. It cost too much so I switched to generic. I didn't feel it was helping the anxiety as much. Dr then prescribed Ovcon, at my request because I took it years ago without any problems. I started this last Sunday. She wasn't fond of me being on that because it has more estrogen. My thyroid tests were fine April 2, but within the last 2 weeks or so, I've become extremely fatigued with muscle pain and weakness. Since I've been on the Ovcon for a week I am now having fragrance allergy problems. This was old problem that seemed to disappear about 2 years ago for some reason???? Could these symptoms be coming from the new BCP interfering with the thyroid somehow?

I also started taking L-tyrosine about a month ago, but from what I've read this should not be causing the thyroid to get worse, only better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Birth control making thyroid worse?

Anxiety wouldn't be caused by Synthroid itself... only if the dose was too small or too large. Anxiety is often caused by un-, over- or undertreated thyroid, too. It would've been best to have free T4/T3 levels taken to determine a need to start any other anxiety relief. Now, you're 'free-wheeling', trying to figure out the problem.

Estrogen binds thyroid hormone, so most people need a thyroid increase when they start taking it, or a decrease when they stop taking it. If you were already low in thyroid before taking the estrogen, you're even lower now, thus not solving the original problem.

Get thyroid levels taken right away, so you know where they stand. If free T4/T3 are below the range median, they're too low; you'll need to increase your Synthroid. If they're higher than about 70% of their ranges, assume they're too high; decrease the Synthroid. Whatever you do, do not allow your MD to determine your dose based solely on TSH. It's not accurate enough and will probably allow symptoms to remain.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-23-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

Hersheykiss HB User
Re: Birth control making thyroid worse?

What's interesting is my endo has never tested my T3 levels. Then again, I never complained about fatigue until now.

Closed Thread