It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

m0ngoos3 HB User
Unhappy Normal TSH, normal T4, T3 Normal, but in the low range. PLEASE HELP!

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I want to give as much back-story so that someone can pick up something that Ive missed, or my doctor has missed or just anything! I am so desperate to be healthy and not feel like this.

BACKSTORY:

2004-2005:When I was 15 I was diagnosed by an endocrinologist in Escondido, California with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am now 21 and living Houston Texas. I see an internist in Sugar Land and pay for everything out of pocket, since I cannot afford insurance. My doctor is very kind and gives me discounts in light of my inability to pay the expensive test fees.I was initially put on Levothyroxine when I was 15 but quickly found out that it did nothing for me. I became highly active in Color Guard shortly after I was diagnosed, so I lost all of my weight, but I remember very little of anything from that point in time. I was the walking dead, strolling through a cloud of confusion. When I got out of High School, I moved out and lost my insurance. During this time, in less than a year, I gained 75 pounds and felt as if I had "lost myself". I wasn't the outgoing happy person I remembered, I had mentally changed into a completely different person that I didn't recognize.

2006-2007: I saw a doctor in Victoria, TX who also saw my boyfriend's mom who has hypothyroidism (but not Hashimoto's). He tried to put me on Levothyroxine even though I told him that it didn't work for me. I told him that I wanted to try Armour, because that is what my boyfriends mom was on and it worked for her. He put me on Levothyroxine anyway and 2 months into taking it, it did what I expected it to; absolutely nothing. So I stopped seeing the doctor, stopped taking the medicine and continued to get worse.

2008:
A year later I moved to Sugar Land. I was at my biggest; so big that it was hard for me to sleep on my back without feeling like the weight was crushing me. I was so tired of being unhealthy, but lacked the will or energy to do anything about it. I had a sense of apathy toward everything. I was forgetful, my mind was clouded and I showed signs of what other people would consider ADD. I finally asked my boyfriend to help me financially so that I could see a doctor.

My current doctor immediately put me on Armour. I believe I started out with 15mg. I was later raised to 30mg, then to 45mg, and most recently to 65. while I was taking 45mg, Armour Thyroid became hard to find so I was switched to compounded. I've been on compounded ever since, until this last month.

I was on the 30mg the longest and felt fine on it for about 6-8 months. During this time I lost about 55 pounds. When I was put on the 45mg I felt even better and I lost even more weight to a total of 65 pounds. However, during this time I still had a goiter, it never went completely away. 2 months ago I tested to see if the 45mg was enough (because of the goiter) and my doctor suggested a raise to 60mg even though I felt fine (my TSH was at 4.6). The first week, I felt fine, but soon after that I started to feel slightly more tired than usual. It affected my school, I began skipping certain classes so I could take naps and I stopped going to the gym because I was too tired. I began to think that maybe the 60mg was too much. I got through the first month of the medication (compounded) and decided to try it another month (even,though I should have gotten tested, I couldn't afford to have tests done at that particular time) When I called in to have my prescription refilled, my pharmacist said that the regular (and cheaper) Armour was now in stock so I agreed to have them refill it with the regular Armour.

This whole month of the regular Armour I've felt the worst I've felt since I wasn't taking medicine at all. In the past few days my goiter has been so big that it's difficult to swallow. Yesterday morning I got a partial refill of my old compounded medicine, thinking that maybe the regular Armour may be why I'm feeling so terrible. By the end of the day yesterday, I felt so bad that I broke down and called my doctor to get immediate testing. At 4pm they took the blood test and it came back this morning With Normal TSH, Normal T4 and normal T3, but the T3 was in the "Low Range". My doctor is currently on vacation, but I will be able to go over this with him on Tuesday. I've always felt that something else might be wrong. My energy level was fine for so long, why did my condition so rapidly decline? Why has my goiter never gone away? Through all of this, I have lost the weight, but I still don't feel like myself. I feel like I am being controlled by the fogginess in my brain. Something else is wrong with me, but what are the other options? What else could be going on with me?

OTHER MEDICAL NOTES:

1.My menstrual cycle has NEVER been regular. I used to be 3 weeks late some times, then 2 weeks early other times, but in the last 4 months I have been uncharacteristically on time within a few days, and the last 2 months have started on the same exact day.

2. When I eat certain foods I notice that my goiter goes down significantly. Yesterday, I ate ONLY Jasmine rice with curry (home cooked) and within the hour (after being severely swollen for 2 days) my thyroid when down by half. My goiter is swollen right now, so I am going to test my theory on the Jasmin rice again for lunch.

4. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Last edited by m0ngoos3; 04-29-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User
Re: Normal TSH, normal T4, T3 Normal, but in the low range. PLEASE HELP!

Can you post your ranges for the blood tests?

Also, did you get your adrenals checked?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You may not know that Armour has a new formula that doesn't work for many of the people who formerly used it very successfully. I had to stop using it myself. (Now the stuff I'm taking as a replacement has reformulated and doesn't seem to be doing the job; but's that's another story.)
I think "new" Armour is your problem.

As to your diet, soy is a thyroid horror story. If you're vegetarian, you may be eating a lot of it... ? That's why you may feel better on days when you don't eat as much of it.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
(female)

m0ngoos3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You may not know that Armour has a new formula that doesn't work for many of the people who formerly used it very successfully. I had to stop using it myself. (Now the stuff I'm taking as a replacement has reformulated and doesn't seem to be doing the job; but's that's another story.)
I think "new" Armour is your problem.

As to your diet, soy is a thyroid horror story. If you're vegetarian, you may be eating a lot of it... ? That's why you may feel better on days when you don't eat as much of it.

Thanks for the information on the new Armour! I was worried something like that was going on =/

As for soy, I know all about goitrogenic foods and I stay clear from soy O_O Soy is my arch enemy haha xD It's hard for me to be a vegetarian *and* hypothyroid, but i get by with legumes, eggs and cheese

Old 04-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
(female)

tiredpuppy HB User

Hi,

I think I remember reading that peanuts, peas and beans were also bad for thyroid, so you might want to check on that....

Also, you might try getting your Vitamin D and iron/ferritin levels checked.

Is there any chance the swelling you have could be a salivary gland? I am wondering because I have had this issue for several months, and the swelling will get really big for a few days, and then will go down. My issue is probably a blocked salivary duct....

Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread