It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

Newly21 HB User
Trying to figure this out. Need help

Ok, so it's been about 2 years since I was first diagnosed with a multinodular goiter. I've been seeing my GP and an endocrinologist but they really haven't done anything for me. I get a sonogram of my thyroid done every every year but I don't see my endo until 6 months after it's taken so it seems pretty pointless to me. All I have been told is that it appears that my nodules are remaining approximately the same size and my TSH are within "normal" levels whatever that means. This, however, does not tell me why I have nodules on my thyroid. I am a fairly healthy 21 year old in college, ever since I was diagnosed though I have become progressively more fatigued (even when I sleep 8 hours a night), I bruise easily, have a terrible time healing, am prone to skin infections, and have fainted after simple blood tests or shots which I never had a problem with before. Last year after I had been eating the healthiest of my life and sleeping consistently I went to the doctor to have blood tests to try to figure out why I waxs still feeling fatigued if my TSH levels were "normal". Turns out I was severely lacking in B12 and vitamin D and had to be given shots every month and take special high dose vitamins. Maybe my symptoms are completely unrelated but I know there is something wrong and I can't seem to get anyone to pay attention. Does anyone have any insight for me?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Trying to figure this out. Need help

You are another victim of the "tyranny of the TSH test". TSH does not effectively measure our levels of thyroid hormones, only the free T3 and free T4 tests do that. Many of us who are severely hypoT have "normal" levels of TSH, hence why more testing is necessary. Being hypo will prevent us from absorbing essential vitamins and minerals (and you also need to get your ferritin tested).
Ask your doc for a free T3 and free T4 as well as antibody testing for Hashimoto's, TPO and TG. Multinodular goiter is most often a result of autoimmune thyroiditis and this needs treatment with thyroid hormone replacement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

Stabevrian HB User

What is your TSH level? This sounds similar to me, I have 2 nodules on my thyroid that I get monitored. My TSH is still in the normal ".4-4.0", but it is closer to 4. I am taking 25mcg of Synthroid. Last time I got my TSH checked it was 3.69 and that is why she put me on the Synthroid. You can also get your T3, T4, and antibodies tested as well (mine were all normal).

Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
(female)

Pennyb471 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newly21 View Post
Ok, so it's been about 2 years since I was first diagnosed with a multinodular goiter. I've been seeing my GP and an endocrinologist but they really haven't done anything for me. I get a sonogram of my thyroid done every every year but I don't see my endo until 6 months after it's taken so it seems pretty pointless to me. All I have been told is that it appears that my nodules are remaining approximately the same size and my TSH are within "normal" levels whatever that means. This, however, does not tell me why I have nodules on my thyroid. I am a fairly healthy 21 year old in college, ever since I was diagnosed though I have become progressively more fatigued (even when I sleep 8 hours a night), I bruise easily, have a terrible time healing, am prone to skin infections, and have fainted after simple blood tests or shots which I never had a problem with before. Last year after I had been eating the healthiest of my life and sleeping consistently I went to the doctor to have blood tests to try to figure out why I waxs still feeling fatigued if my TSH levels were "normal". Turns out I was severely lacking in B12 and vitamin D and had to be given shots every month and take special high dose vitamins. Maybe my symptoms are completely unrelated but I know there is something wrong and I can't seem to get anyone to pay attention. Does anyone have any insight for me?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

Pennyb471 HB User

I was just diagnosed with a multinodular goiter and Hashimoto's. I also found out through intensive bloodwork that I have Parvo Virus, Epstein Barr Virus. I was told that I have an autoimmune disorder and that when exposed to a virus, my body doesn't fight it, the virus attacks my thyroid. You might want to get tested for Epstein Barr. Your symptoms sound like your levels should be off from what I've learned in the past few months. I would have the EBV bloodwork done, that would explain the fatigue and maybe some of the other symptoms. Good luck!

Closed Thread