It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

pkelm09 HB User
On Synthroid, not helping symptoms

Basically, I have been hypothyroid for years, at least 16. The last 4-5 years I have had increased fatigue [eyes rolling around in my head, wanting to sleep constantly, pre-diabetic and now am Type 2, insulin and oral meds, high bp, cholesterol]. The fatigue is what bothers me the most. I have been getting more depressed probably due to the fact that I don't want to sleep my life away. I started researching my symptoms and found out about the different hormones of the thyroid and that most doctors do not test all of them.. I have been through several doctors including an endocrinologist and now about to get rid of an internal medicine doctor due to the fact that everyone looks at the lab results instead of listening to my symptoms. Just recently started losing my hair like a chemo patient and fatigue is severe. I don't want to go anywhere, just sit in my chair. Did more research on Synthroid and although it does work wonders for others, some it does correct their medical problem but does not treat the symptoms and despite what the nurse says it can make you lose your hair [she looked in her drug book and synthroid only causes hairloss in children]. I called yesterday because they keep saying it sounds like my thyroid and even though we keep labs going on it they don't do anything about it. I called to ask if I could be put on a different med like a T4 med and a T3 med. Well, needless to say, I went to the hospital for another thyroid test which by the way did not include T3.

I admit I Google a lot but if the doctor's don't listen what are you supposed to do? When I had my partial hysterectomy I had asked my OB/GYN to put me on Armour because I had read good stuff about it and he started explaining how the thyroid works. I told him I know all that cuz I have done my research. He told me that he read books too and they weren't on the internet. So, needless to say he didnt give me THyroid but I did find a doctor that did. It went on backorder the same time I had to find a different doctor because my Family doctor couldnt regulate my diabetes. When I went to that doctor he refused to give me the Armour and put me back on Synthroid. A couple of months later, fatigue is worse and now hairloss.

I would love to know if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get these doctors to let me change my medication to include a T3 med like Cytomel and if anyone has had the same problems as I have had with the Synthroid.

Sorry for the long post but I am at my wits end and am tired of these doctors thinking I'm a hypochondriac.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paula

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: On Synthroid, not helping symptoms

Hi, this is quite typical of doctors reaction. Especially if they don't know how to read your bloodtests, and are "TSH WORSHIPPERS".

I got pretty sick of it too, because my health is very important. So, I order my own meds, get my own tests.

A person should not have to resort to selfmedication, but if doctors won't listen so be it.

It is best to find a doc that will get you back to health.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Many people do not do well on T4 only and they have tried to tell their doctors until they are blue in the face to no avail. Instead they are prescribed antidepressants and labeled "complainers". (BTW, I'd love to see when the books your doc was referring to were published, if he doesn't realize that all the latest studies are now online he's seriously operating in the dark ages of medicine).

If you can't find a doctor who will work with you and respect the research you've done into your own health then your choices are keep looking for a doc who does, or self-medicate and order your labs online. I don't recommend the latter except as an extreme last resort and only for people who have devoted an extraordinany amount of time researching and who have a good awareness of side effects and lab interpretation. There are groups and forums out there who do provide help and support if you choose to go that route.

Have you tried alternative practitioners? They often don't accept insurance so are an option only for those who can afford them but often they are more aware of proper testing and are willing to prescribe desiccated thyroid.

Don't give up, it's obvious from your post that your health is deteriorating and it's important to keep up the fight to get the help you need.

Last edited by javelina; 05-05-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

pkelm09 HB User

Went to doctor today and he switched me back to Armour, however, now I'm worried about the dosage. I put me on 2 grains, 120 mg and according to the amount of synthroid I was taking it should be 1 grain but I am not complaining. We will see the rest results in 2 months. Until then, I am happy he is cooperating with me.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I'm clapping!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

You may want to just take one grain for a week or so and then go up to two grains. Armour has T3 in it and it's best to up the dose slowly. Comparing T4 dosage to desiccated thyroid can be like apples and oranges so it's best to err on the side of caution. Also splitting your dose morning and afternoon works well for most folks.

Closed Thread