It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

lipingchen HB User
Question Should I avoid iodined salt while taking synthroid?

I'm taking synthroid and my TSH has been too low for months. My endo tries to decrease the dosage little by little but it's not showing in my lab. I use iodized salt for cooking everyday. Should I avoid it?

Last edited by lipingchen; 05-07-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Should I avoid iodined salt while taking synthroid?

I don't think salt is a problem.

Hun, trust me when I tell you - your lowish TSH is not a problem. You need to have sufficient amount of thyroid hormones for you and the baby and when on thyroid medication TSH often drops and that's ok as long as you don't have too much of the actual thyroid hormones in your body (which you obviously don't). (Someone help me out here )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-08-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

lipingchen HB User

Thank you for your reply again. I called my endo's office and was told I can take the medicine before lab. Quite confusing.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipingchen View Post
Quite confusing.
Yes it does seem so Again trust me when I tell you - to get accurate results and to know the basic situation (for your probable dose adjustments too) you need to know the levels you have without your morning meds. (I think you have idiots working at your doctor's office, sorry ).

Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree with everything Finn has told you.

You said in your previous thread that your MD told you to take your Synthroid 20 minutes before breakfast. That proves how inept he is at treating thyroid disease. Every thyroid med brand states on the prescription insert that it should be taken 1 hour before eating and should be 2 hours apart [4 hours is better] from calcium and iron supplements. Presumably, you're taking a prenatal vitamin which contain extra iron; watch out for that interaction.

What doctors don't know about this disorder would boggle your mind. Many of us have had to learn the hard way just how much they don't know and have had to educate ourselves about what we need.

It's only confusing because you're being told the wrong information from the one whom you should be able to trust most.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipingchen View Post
I'm taking synthroid and my TSH has been too low for months. My endo tries to decrease the dosage little by little but it's not showing in my lab. I use iodized salt for cooking everyday. Should I avoid it?
Just a comment about iodized salt. You mean Morton's, right? That is processed salt and (I think) not good for anyone to consume.You can do your own research on this, but I would highly recommend any of the natural salts, such as you would find in a health food store.

Last edited by jenj770; 05-08-2010 at 04:30 AM.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
to get accurate results and to know the basic situation (for your probable dose adjustments too) you need to know the levels you have without your morning meds.
Finn,

I never thought about this as I take my Armour sublingual every morning. I'm due for another lab panel next week. You're saying not to take the med until after the lab. Right?

Thanks,

Jen

Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
You're saying not to take the med until after the lab. Right?
Yes

Closed Thread