It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

angstrom HB User
New here... :(

Hello everyone --

I've been reading through this board for the last two weeks, trying to absorb everything. I've also been scaring the crap out of myself reading other things on the Internet too. Well, I am at the point where I would like to ask for some advice for my own thyroid event… Would someone here be kind enough to give me their thoughts on my situation? I have read so many posts and so much info yet I am drawing a blank on all of this except for one word: cancer.

About three months ago I noticed a lump in my neck on the right side (near my collar bone) as I was putting makeup on in the mirror. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist, who I saw on 4 May. She examined me, asked a bunch of questions and ordered bloodwork and an ultrasound. I had both done the next day. My next appointment with her is 18 May -- this coming Tuesday.

Today I got a copy of my bloodwork and radiologist's report from my endo ( since I wanted to have a few days to look at it before sitting down with her ).

My test results are as follows:

TSH 2.18 [0.40-4.50]
FT4 1.2 [0.8-1.8]
FT3 292 [230-420]
TPOab <10 [<35 IU/mL]

The radiologist had this to say about my ultrasound:

The right lobe of the thyroid is enlarged measuring 5.2 x 2.4 x 2.7cm. It is hypervasculized. There is a mass, which is solid and is in the mid to lower pole and measures 3.5 x 2.2 x 2.8cm.

The left lobe of the thyroid is 4.2 x 1.1 x 1.5cm. It is normal in size and contour. It has normal vascular perfusion and echotexture. There is a hypoechoic 0.5 x 0.4 x 0.7cm upper pole left lobe nodule.

I am, of course, panicking now more than ever, but would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks for any and all input.

Elle

Last edited by angstrom; 05-14-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spastic fingers making typos :(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: New here... :(

Are they going to do a biopsy of the nodule? Did they give you any indication of what they thought it was?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

angstrom HB User
Unhappy Re: New here... :(

I have an appointment with my endo on the 18th, where I assume she'll go over the results and let me know what she feels is necessary to do next. With such a large mass, I can't imagine why they'd even want to do a FNA biopsy as it seems like it should just be removed. A biopsy seems like an extra step when all I want to do is get this foreign thing *out* of my body. Am I making sense? It is hard for me to tell anymore...

I guess I am hoping to see what others here think about the bloodwork and ultrasound just as additional information (maybe helping me think of something else, etc.) so I can be more prepared when I see the doctor again on Tuesday morning...

For the record, I am female, perimenopausal, and 51 years old. No history of thyroid issues in my family. No other health issues aside from acephalgic migraine. I've had some typical hypo symptoms for years (lack of libido, tiredness, weight gain, water retention, constipation, painful joints on occasion, anxiety, some hair loss, eczema...) but attributed that to, well, getting older.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
(female)

frabeco HB User

Hello,

I noticed that on this board people don't like to talk about cancer...I am having a similar situation.....had a ct for an unrelated issue, found a "nodule", had a ultrasound the next day, got scheduled for a US FNA, the next day (even though it wasn't for two weeks becasue the best radiologist was on vacation...LOL) had the FNA, it came back "undiagnostic" (great radiologist......) and then was referred to a surgeon the next day (even though they haven't given me a date for the appointment yet).

The funny thing is, I have yet to talk to a doctor of any type.....After the CT the doctor's assitant called me and my PCP, then since then, I have just been talking to her assistant... So I have had no blood tests, no conuslts with and Endo or Ent or even an exam. So I am wondering why this rush......do they see something that they are not telling me? Cant get no answers....so I do unterstand how you feel...my nodule is on the larger side, is solid, hypoechoic and vascular....from my research...it is either bad...or good....LOL

I prefer to just have it out......I don't think I could keep it in and watch it....I am already having a hard time waiting.....the waiting for each step has been really hard, I just want an answer...

Take care
Frabeco

Moderator..
Just wanted to point out....I did not post my email address...merely stated that if they wanted to talk personally, they could. Perhaps, you should check the original message and remove the infraction. Tried to contact you "personally" but you have it turned off and yes, I did check the rules to try to find out how to contact you other wise......

Last edited by frabeco; 05-19-2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

Yannick HB User

Frabeco
I am in the same situation. My FNA results were "inconclusive" and were seen by 3 good pathologists. I've read that about 10 to 15% of FNA results can be inconclusive and the only way to find out if it is cancer is to do surgery. My surgery is scheduled for Monday 5/17. My nodule is 3.2cms.Even if it's benign, it needs to come out.
I am trying to stay positive but it's hard. I am anxious to get done with this surgery.
Y.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
(male)

mickey81 HB Usermickey81 HB User

Angstrum, Does not always mean cancer. Could be the beginning of Hashimoto.
Thyroid attacking itself. But, you must realize with cancer early detection is the
key to treating an curing. If it is, sounds like you caught it early. Be thankfull you found the nodule. Best wishes and Good Luck. Also, if you don*t like surgery, ask
about radioactive iodine. They treat thyroid cancer with this also.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
(female)

angstrom HB User

Yannick: I hope your surgery went well (since today is the 18th) and I hope you recover quickly and enjoy good health for the rest of your life.

This whole process is terrifying to me too (and for so many others here from what I have read).

I saw my endocrinologist today and she was alarmed at the size of my nodule, and said that even if we did a biopsy that she would recommend having my right lobe removed. So, at the very least I will have that done. I'm skipping the biopsy. I told her that, personally, with the sub-centimeter (but close) nodule on the other side I am inclined to have the entire thyroid removed. She agreed and said that is the only way to know for certain if there is cancer, even though only a small percentage of nodules are malignant. She did not feel that it would be difficult at all to regulate the thyroid replacement afterwards.

So, I have a personal recommendation for a surgeon who specializes in head and neck tumors, and a call in to his office for a consult. I guess I'll see what he wants to do...

I suppose that is the best I can do for now, but that knowledge does not give me any comfort... I'm really scared.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
(female)

frabeco HB User

Yannick...let us know how you are when you feel up to it...

Angstrom....I have an appointment next week with a general surgeon...who has scheduled himself to do anther fna after our consult....ugh. Apparently, a "nodule" that is taking up 2/3 of my left lobe is okay....LOL...I would just assume haveit out to know for sure. I was told by the assistant that is who they use...not an ent or endo, etc. And they still feel they don't need to send me to an endo. Anyways, called my insurance company, and lo and behold, I don't need a referral, I can go to who ever I want(as long as they take my insurance) to in my state (Michigan). So I found an Endo and Thyroid Center about an hour from my home and referred myself....my PCP would not even order any blood tests. I guess you have to take matters in your own hands. It still sucks though.....
Frabeco

Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
(female)

angstrom HB User

Frabeco: Good luck with your appointment next week. You'll be in my thoughts. A general surgeon would make me nervous...I don't know why it has to be such a fight for most people to get proper care. I think it's terrible that your PCP refused to order any blood tests for you. I'm glad you found a thyroid center though. That seems like a good step in the right direction.

I have an appointment with a surgeon on June 2. Wish it was sooner but I don't want to see anyone else. He was recommended by a good friend who had a golf ball sized nodule removed about 5 years ago. He specializes in head and neck tumors, with an emphasis on thyroid issues, and is also the CMO of a cancer center about 30 or so miles from me. Whether or not he'll want to do a needle biopsy will, I guess, be up to him. I'll take it from there. I guess that's what we all are doing...just one step at a time.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
(female)

frabeco HB User

Met with the General Surgeon, who happens to be the same one who repaired my husbands bell button hernia....go figure. Totally clueless...but he did perform another FNA and then walking out of the room he said .....see ya in a year....Very interesting...still no blood work..
Results of the second fna had these words only...."consistant with a follicular nodule." What the heck does that mean. No one has explained these to me, I had to call and ask for them to fax to me. I guess I should find a real doctor.....

Closed Thread