It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
New Lab Results! Need opinions please

Hi everyone.So just a quick refresh of my history,I'm 33,had my first thyroid test about 6 weeks ago with a high TSH of 5.6 with symptoms and was deemed sub clinical.My doctor started me on 50mg of Synthroid (I'm taking generic though)

I was feeling a bit Hyper T though,feeling hot all the time,grouchy,very oily skin now,fatigued still,eating everything in sight...

I just got my labs redone yesterday.All of my results are now in range with no abnormal results.
Here is my question,is it still possible 50mg is a bit too much for me? Shall I ask my doctor to go down to maybe 20?

Here are my recent results,doc appointment next week,so I need to know what I'm going to say.Thank you so much!

TSH 0.572 Range 0.450-4.500
Thyroxine (T4) 6.6 Range 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 36 % Range 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 2.4 Range 1.2-4.9

Last edited by WhenItRains; 06-17-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: New Lab Results! Need opinions please

It so pisses me off you over there still get these stupid useless taken The only one of these that is of any significance is TSH. Your level would be a bit low for many people but medication shouldn't be adjusted based on TSH alone. You need to have FT4 and FT3 tested. If you still feel HyperT type symptoms you could try reducing the dose a bit, but just a bit - to like 37,5 mcgs.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-17-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

HI Finnmaid.It's kind of hard for me to get certain tests because I have no insurance.
In order to get testing I go to an online lab and pay out of pocket for them.They only have so many to choose from on their website, and some are really costly.A full thyroid was 199 dollars,so I did get the cheaper one for now.

I greatly appreciate your advice though!

How would I reduce a 50mg pill to 37.5 mcgs? I was thinking of cutting it in half.Wouldn't that then make it 25?
Or should I cut slightly more then half?
Thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Hope your health care reform will fix this too If you took 3/4 of your pill that would make about 37,5 but it would be great if you got 25 mcg pills to help even the dose out.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

~Clar~ HB User

How are you feeling? It seems your TSH is good right now? My TSH was 4.8 and I have been taking 25mcg of synthroid for about a month now so I have not retested yet. I notice my hair is growing fast and it feels thicker! Have you noticed anything?

I would talk to your Dr about getting 25mcg possibly, but if you feel OK I would stay at 50

Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Finnmaid,I don't think our health reform will really help,but here's hoping

ClarenceCenter,I have not noticed any real results with my hair yet.

My Tsh is normal,but I think the dose is just a little high for me.I know it's summer here,but I have been intolerable of the heat.I turn the AC up and my husband and daughter are freezing.
I've been feeling grouchy and tired and my skin has gotten so greasy and oily! To be honest,that is what is bothering me the most because I'm prone to acne.

I'm going to ask for 25mg pills and see how that goes.I made my appointment for Thursday next week.

Thanks so very much for the help.This thyroid stuff is very confusing to me

Closed Thread