It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Is a TSH of zero really that dangerous?

My FT3 and FT4 are finally at the top of the range and I have enough energy to get thru the day for the first time in 2 years, and now my doc says my TSH of .006 is dangerous for my heart and wants me to cut my dose down a little. I'm currently taking 100mcg synthroid and 60mg NTH and he wants me to only take the synthroid 6x/wk. He says it won't make a difference in how I feel. I say it will and I keep telling these docs my TSH is easily suppressed on any dose. The only way to get it above zero is to cut my dose in half, which will make me sick again. I'm not feeling anxious at all, I have no heart palps, but he says you can do damage to your heart without having symptoms. I'm tempted to just ignore his suggestion since I'm planning on seeing new docs anyway.

Here were my labs.
TSH .006 (.45-4.5)
FT4 1.73 (.82-1.77)
FT3 4.0 (2.0-4.4)

Last edited by tigger67; 06-24-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Is a TSH of zero really that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger67 View Post
He says it won't make a difference in how I feel.
Such BS. Obviously you're one of those that need to have their free T's high (and TSH low) - IMHO there's nothing wrong about that as long as you have no HyperT symptoms. Make sure you get enough vit D and so. Seeing another doc sounds like a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

My Vit. D was 75 and my doc thought that was too high and wanted me to cut back. I thought that was BS too.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
My Vit. D was 75 and my doc thought that was too high and wanted me to cut back.
Don't know what the range is but take at least some "extra" to make sure your levels stay good. This summer I've been taking 30µg (is that 1200 or something in IU plus occasionally getting some more from my multivitamin and some other vitamin enriched products) - for next winter I'll double the dose.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-24-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

The holistic healthline I listen to on the radio in my area says a D level of 50-75 is good! As far as your free t's, for ME that would be hyper and I'd probably feel it, but we are all different and I am older too, we can stand lower levels I think. let's face it. they always look at the tsh first, most docs. Now if your levels were at the LOW end of the range, they wouldn't say anything, would they? Or just say their usual"normal!". Hypo levels are bad for the heart too,congestive heart failure and high cholesterol!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
(female)

skays HB User

I have a feeling I'm going to have the same fight when I see my doctor tomorrow! My levels are similar to yours, and in fact my frees have dropped some since I last had them checked. I'm on Naturethroid (90 mg) and have felt it hasn't been working as well as it did for the first few months (started 11/09). I had a total cardio workup and my heart looks fine, so I'm hoping that will convince my endo to let me stay at the same dosage.

These are my levels:

TSH: 0.01 (.40-4.0)
Free T4: 1.36 (.89-1.76)
Free T3: 3.13 (1.80-4.20)

Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Skay, your frees look fine! As long as the free levels are in range, there is no reason to change your dose. There is still conflicting thought as to whether low out of the range tsh is bad for the bones, heart. The experts seem to think if the frees aren't high, you're okay.It's the high thyroid hormones themselves that can be dangerous for our health. (or too low)

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
(female)

Lugrita HB User

My endo, whom I saw for the first time this past Thursday, does not care about TSH at all. He goes by symptoms first, and the free T's second, and his goal is to get his patients feeling "alive", in his words. My labs looked similar this past round and my P.A. was very uncomfortable with it, which is why she asked me to see the endo. My TSH dropped to .01, and my FT4 was just under mid-range. My P.A. mentioned concerns about my heart also and she cut back my levothyroxine, but the endo was not concerned at all and he switched me to Armour, starting at the rough equivalent to the 75mcg levothyroxine that I was taking before the P.A. cut me back a bit.

So all that to say that I'm not worried about a nearly-undetectable TSH, because my doctor doesn't care about it at all. I am so thankful to find a doctor who actually gets it, and I will stick with him as long as he's in practice out here! I hope that you can both get what you need without having to fight your doctors.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
(female)

skays HB User

Thanks, Bran'sNana. All my thyroid tests were in range except the TSH.

My endo doesn't quite "get" it, but he listens to me, knows I do a lot of reading and believes I know what works best for me- so in ways does go by my symptoms. He did write me a prescription for Erfa, no fight at all. I think, too, he was more concerned about my low WBC this time. Now I'm worried about that. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Last edited by skays; 06-27-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Lugrita, you're lucky to find a doctor who knows not to pay attention to the TSH. I have yet to find one who won't panic when mine gets to zero even though I still have symptoms. I tell them over and over that the only way to get my TSH to go up is to practically take me off thyroid meds and they don't seem to take me seriously. They just go on and on about how a TSH of zero is bad for your heart and bones even if you have no symptoms, so they'd rather leave me unable to function so the labs look good to them. I have no hyper symptoms whatsoever, so even though my free's are at the high end of the range and my TSH is zero, I feel like if I have no symptoms of having a heart attack, then why worry?

I had an echocardiogram the other week, so that should say if there's any damage to my heart or not.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
I have no hyper symptoms whatsoever, so even though my free's are at the high end of the range and my TSH is zero, I feel like if I have no symptoms of having a heart attack, then why worry?
You said it I'm in a similar situation and I refuse to believe that a single number on the lab sheet is suddenly going to kill me I find it a bit puzzling that suppressed TSH seems to be life threatening to everyone else but thyroid cancer survivors (not saying even they should be over medicated - just saying it's the symptoms, or not having symptoms, that should matter more).

Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I'm dealing with something similar but my FT4 is a little too high and my FT3 is low in the range and TSH is 0.02 and the doc is telling me to stop taking my T4 med, only take the Nature Throid which I take the smallest dose of. UGH! if I do that my FT4 will plummet to the bottom along with my FT3 which will probably fall even more.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

How much T4 are you taking? Maybe you should cut back just a bit and increase your Nature throid to keep you more stable

Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Yeah, that is what I think should happen, but the Dr thinks a whole different thing. I got a message from his office on Friday telling me to stop the T4. I called this morning and told them I was not comfortable with that and that my TSH has been supressed for years (new Dr) so now I'm waiting to hear back from him. If he insists I stop the T4 I'm looking for a new Dr. All I really need is more T3 and less T4 not stop the T4, I've dealt with thyroid issues for more than 9 years so I know stopping it will cause my T4 to go way down.

Closed Thread