It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
(male)

mike291 HB User
is this possibly hypothyroidism?

iam a 27/m and have been noticing the possible symptoms of being hypo since i was about 12.my dad has also been diagnosed with being hypo so iam wondering what are the chances of that being passed on to me?i got a lot of the common symptoms you read about,and also can feel this tightness around my neck,like its hard to swallow?iam hoping ill have insuarance within the next week,but was just wondering about these things.thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: is this possibly hypothyroidism?

Yes, Mike. Thyroid problems are definitely familial. My mom had it, I have it, and so does my daughter.
Get tested! If you can see your dad's doc, you may have an easier time getting the right diagnosis. There are lots of really stupid MDs when it comes to these disorders, and you don't want one who thinks hypothyroidism is a disease of old ladies... Because it isn't!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
(male)

mike291 HB User

yeah thats sounding more and more like what i have.when i do go iam gonna tell them i want a thyroid panel done,and hopefully get it treated correctly.this is my main fear from what i read is doctors are still stuck on the old ways of testing that they usually look over it a lot of the time.

have you been able to get your thyroid problem under control?i have read a lot of good things about the thyroid medicine "armour"but have heard its hard to get on,because the doctors dont believe it will help,or have read that being on T3 medcine is similar to being on drugs.lol.i couldnt believe that when i read it.

also as far as getting the thyroid panel testing done,i have read i should also get a "thyroid antibody test" to test for hashimotos disease.is that something i should have tested together,or after if it is in fact a thyroid problem?thanks

thanks for the help though.

Last edited by mike291; 07-01-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
(male)

mike291 HB User
tests

are these the main tests i should ask for when i go in for the first time?

tsh,T4,free T4 free T3.

Last edited by mike291; 07-01-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Forget about total T4. It's inaccurate and unnecessary.

Ask for:
TSH
Free T4
Free T3
TPO (thyroperoxidase) antibodies
Tg (thyroglobulin) antibodies

Expect some resistence at getting the free T3. Most MDs don't appreciate its importance. I wouldn't argue about it at the first visit; the free T4 may be enough for diagnosis, especially if there are antibodies and/or TSH above 3.

It's true that most MDs hate Armour or other natural thyroid products, but it's not impossible to get. Just takes more effort to find a doctor who prescribes it. It's not impossible to succeed using synthetic meds, though. Many people do just fine on it. So if you get the diagnosis and are offered Synthroid, don't refuse it. See how it works for you first. You can always switch later if need be.

My hypoT was well under control from 2004 until a year ago. I was successfully taking Armour, but they reformulated it. It worked miserably after that. I've been switching around trying to find another good product to take its place, and so far having spotty results. Still working on it.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
(male)

mike291 HB User

iam hoping to say that these are what they tested on my dad when they found out he had it.i also found a checklist of different symptoms iam gonna bring in that i have to maybe show that i know what iam talking about.i appreciate the help thanks

Closed Thread