It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

Stormme HB User
Very nervous

I don't know if this is as much a question as an introduction. I was diagnosed with 2 thyroid nodules about 5 years ago. I had a biopsy of the larger nodule, which came back benign. The E.N.T.'s approach was to re-ultrasound periodically and watch them. At first there was no significant growth but recently, I have been having a pressure or choking sensation. At first it was more off and on, and now it pretty much remains most or all the time, on the right side of my throat. It is horrible.

I have a long standing fear/phobia of my airway closing, and I lost a child who suffocated under the weight of an a.t.v., in an accident. These two things seem to be making my fear of this situation all the more intense.

The nurse from my E.N.T.'s office called right before closing on a Friday to let us know test results from the ultrasound. I think she meant to give measurements of the thyroid lobes but mistakenly called them nodule measurements. I do not know for sure, because she did this right before closing and I can't really find out until Monday when they come back in. IF she meant to give thyroid lobe measurements, it is enlarged. One side 6cm. x 2cm. x 2c.m. and the other side 6cm. x 4cm. x 4 cm. I am FREAKING out about this.

I had a CT. scan with contrast which revealed no airway obstruction.

From my reading I gather my main options to be surgery or radioactive iodine. I do not know what my lab values are right now, but when this was first diagnosed, I was neither hypo. or hyper..

I cannot seem to function much and am terrified of surgery but also want to get relief from this horrible pressure feeling in throat. I am overweight, (classed as obese but not morbidly obese), and read that obese people have increased risk associated with anesthesia. I am so scared.

Last edited by Stormme; 07-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Very nervous

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. I don't know why the "nurse" called you if she wasn't going to explain things properly, and just make you nervous instead.

A goiter---an enlarged thyroid, can sometimes be reduced with thyroid medication. You are probably "hypothyroid" and when you get your blood work results, you can share them on this board, and somebody can give you your thoughts.

You would only have to consider radioiodine if your were hyperthyroid, which you probably are not.

You aren't at a stage where you need to consider surgery. you need more information, you need to see your doctor, discuss the results and go from there. I don't think the thyroid necessarily will grow so large that it will obstruct your airway. You've got plenty of time to learn more about your situation.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

Stormme HB User
Re: Very nervous

Thanks Reece. I was somewhat upset that they gave me results without explaining much and without me being able to speak with my doctor. The nurse said he wanted to see me, so I will call Monday to see when I can get an appointment.

In the past when the nodules were first discovered, they told me my labs were all within range with nodules in the thyroid noted. From what I have read that is called a non-toxic nodular goiter? So if I am still within range can they still medicate to shrink the nodules or the total thyroid itself? I figured they would not, if the lab values were all still within range.

My main and overwhelming symptom is the pressure on the right side of my neck, which is where the larger lobe of thyroid is. I really want that to be gone.

Thanks for your reply and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. I don't know why the "nurse" called you if she wasn't going to explain things properly, and just make you nervous instead.

A goiter---an enlarged thyroid, can sometimes be reduced with thyroid medication. You are probably "hypothyroid" and when you get your blood work results, you can share them on this board, and somebody can give you your thoughts.

You would only have to consider radioiodine if your were hyperthyroid, which you probably are not.

You aren't at a stage where you need to consider surgery. you need more information, you need to see your doctor, discuss the results and go from there. I don't think the thyroid necessarily will grow so large that it will obstruct your airway. You've got plenty of time to learn more about your situation.

Closed Thread