It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
(female)

SuRfGrl81 HB User
Post Need advice! I think I have a thyroid problem.

I am a 29 y/o Female I believe I have a Thyroid problem, here are my symptoms:

I have had hayfever all my life...as I got older though the symptoms became less severe. I was diagnosed with Eczema 2 years ago...before that my skin was silky smooth never flaky. I also have developed red acne like rashes on my cheeks, these developed when I moved last sept. to an enviroment which is extremely hotter then where I was before. I'm always tired...I sleep anywhere from 8-12 hours a day and I feel like I haven't slept at all. Since last August I have gained 60lbs....I do work out 3 times a week and I try to watch what I eat but I do eat some junk food sometimes but I don't stuff my face. Those are the main ones but I also have slight depression, very brittle nails and muscle aches.

I have been going to the dermitologist where I moved to since the begning of the year. I tried to bring up the Thyroid maybe being a cause but they wrote me off like I was nuts The strange thing is when I first started going to them they weren't so sure it was eczema and did a biopsy but it came back saying that it was eczema, they said they'd never seen a case like mine...they had every intern on the floor come look at my skin! It has spred beneath my breasts and in my arm pits causes dark brown blotches.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has the same symptoms I have and how I can get the doctors to listen to me and do a thyroid test. My skin is so out of control I refuse to wear anything that shows my arms....it's over 100 degrees where I live so you can imagine how miserable I am! I use lotion but I'm still so itchy that I scratch all the time causing my skin to turn red. HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Need advice! I think I have a thyroid problem.

Thyroid problems can cause allergy problems, but they never cause only one symptom. There will be up to 10 or more signs and symptoms at a time. Unless you have some of these others... significant fatigue, hair loss (including the outer 1/3 of the eyebrows), inappropriate sensation of cold, chronic constipation, muscle/joint pain, brittle nails, dry skin, weight gain or inability to lose, slow heart rate, low body temp, slow thinking aka "brain fog", mild depression... Your eczema isn't likely due to thyroid trouble.

If it would ease your mind, your MD should be willing to run a basic TSH and free T4 test for screening. These aren't infallible though. To be really thorough, he should include thyroid antibodies tests and a free T3. But if your insurance is a managed care plan, you'll have a hard time getting all of these without more signs/symptoms of thyroid disease.

There's a comprehensive list of signs and symptoms in our "Thyroid Information" sticky thread.

Closed Thread