It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

wanna cry HB User
Please help me with my nature throid/hashi problem

I have had all the hypo issues for years, jumpy vision, weight issues and docs would test me. TSH, T3, T4 and once in awhile they would be off. When I would get a good doc they would test tpo and I would be told I would need a low dose of meds the rest of my life. They would give me synthroid I would try awhile, couldn't tolerate, threw in trash went about my life suffering, getting fatter, etc.

Got on Ambien for years to sleep been doing the withdrawl on that which really kicked my hypo symptoms into gear and even made my tsh go a little whack. Tried me on the synthroid again, same old same, trash can.

Went to Cleveland Clinic got a decent doc I guess. She tested TSH T3 T4 all right in middle normal. TPO whack again so she said she would agree to put me on Nature throid. Been on it a week. First day I took dead tired couldn't stay awake.

Bad thing is I think I am having something badly going wrong from the nature throid. My muscles all feel like extreme fibral myalgia, I am starting to walk around like an old arthritic person BUT the weight is falling off me. I also today just started getting like a weird pressure sensation deep in my left ear.

I want to keep taking it because my depression is gone and weight is coming off, first time also I have had normal bowel movements instead of years of diarrhea.

Please help me to figure out what to do. I mean would going on synthroid with some cytomel be better or would it be the same.

I contacted the maker of nature throid and they said some people have trouble with the t3 in their product? What does that even mean?

Thank you in advance for reading this and for any help you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
(female)

wanna cry HB User
Re: Please help me with my nature throid/hashi problem

I guess it might be helpful if I told you that she put me on the lowest dose of nature throid which is the 1/4 grain 16.25 tablet. I just read another thread here that says you will not even feel the full effects of your dose of meds for 6 weeks? If my legs and ear thing is not at it fullest yet I could be bed ridden in 6 weeks then? Is it possible this with the arthritic leg hip pains where i can hardly walk and the muscle aches/burning is just gonna be here and once my body gets used to this med it will pass? I can deal with it if I know it will go away. I really don't want to stop this med if it is helping my depression and making me lose weight.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Naturethroid is one of the natural desiccated thyroid products. Instead of being synthetic (as Synthroid is) it is derived from pigs. Pigs have a physiology similar to humans, so our bodies recognize desiccated thyroid products better than synthetic ones. Synthroid is a synthetic version of T4 only, while desiccated thyroid contains T4, T3, T2 and T1. T4 is converted to T3 in the body, but some people have a hard time doing the conversion. Those people need a bit of T3 and generally respond better to natural desiccated thyroid than to synthetic T4.

You already indicated that your body did not respond well to Synthroid- I don't think you would find a Synthroid/Cytomel combination to be better. In addition to the fact they are synthetic there is the fact that they are both made in just a few doses and so a lot of people find they are either under or over medicated because they can't dial in the dose. Natural desiccated thyroid hormone often comes in more doses so you can dial in your dose much more accurately. Plus since it has natural T3, some people find they actually need less T4 (thus, a lower dose of thyroid hormone overall) because they are getting some of the T3 their bodies so desperately need.

In a book called "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" by David Brownstein MD connects Fibromyalgia and thyroid disorders. I can't do his theory justice here but he says in all the years he's been in practice that he's never once had a patient with Fibro not have hypothyroidism. Not once. He indicates that the thyroid must be treated before the Fibromyalgia can be treated. You might find some answers for your situation in that book.

Final thought: make sure you are taking your dose first thing in the morning, with no other medications at all, and wait an hour before eating. Most people say that you should wait a minimum of four hours before taking medications that might block absorption of the thyroid hormone, such as calcium supplements or acid blockers.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-15-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

wanna cry HB User

Thank you Dee, I will steer clear of the synthroid and cytomel for now then.

My fibral like symptoms were gone for years until I started up this nature throid that is why I am wondering what is going on. I also am having the bad hip and leg pain that is making me feel and walk sometimes like an elderly person with arthritis. Is this a bad thing happening to me from the thyroid medicine? Should I stop it?

I have had some really good benefit from the week I have been on it. I have less depression, my face and finger swelling is almost gone and I have moments of clear thinking. Several websites state that muscle pains is a dangerous side effect of nature throid and it should be stopped. Is that true?

I forgot to ask should I maybe just cut the dose in half for a few days and see if it lessens my symptoms? Is it possible since all my levels but the tpo were currently in normal range that the 1/4 is too much for me?

I don't mind muscle aches if it isn't anything serious. I could live with that if it helps me lose weight, not be as depressed and whatnot.

Also a few hours after taking it I get that weird sensation in my throat like I swallowed a balloon. I have been crushing the pills and swallowing them as I read on boards that they changed the formulation and you have to crush them for them to work right?

Sorry to add on again but since all my labs were normal except the tpo indicated possible hashimotos could this med in a weeks time have put me into a hyperthyroid state? She just wanted me on this small dose for if and when the hashi would throw my hypo. When I am normal what does this dose do to me? I would think it would send one hyper if it isn't needed at the time right?

I am totally going to buy that book and read it cover to cover when I can get my eyes to focus and when I can get over feeling so weak and tired, another thing that started when I started this med.

much thanks to you for being here to help people just starting out like me

Last edited by wanna cry; 07-15-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: im numb headed and can't think right

Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I would discuss the symptoms with your doctor or pharmacist but 1/4 grain is a very small dose and it's very unlikely that you are over-medicated. I recently started taking 1 grain of Thyroid USP (a desiccated similar to Nature-throid) and I am having some side effects also but nothing too awful bad, it's just disconcerting because I can feel the swings from hypo to normal to hypo again. I think a lot of it is the body adjusting to finally having what it needs, and it can take a while for the adjustments to occur. I do have a doctor's appt next week and will tell my doc what I'm experiencing just to make sure it's normal but what I was told to really watch out for was racing heart, heart palpitations and anxiety. So far my heart rate has been good, no heart palps, and no anxiety. And that's saying something, since I suffer from panic attacks anyway.

Did you doc talk to you about making sure you were supplementing your Vit D and Selenium? My doc has me take supplements for both of those and also fish oil (straight, not in capsules) and Glycine. They are part of my treatment.

Also- diet is HUGE in how you feel when you have an autoimmune disease. Many foods are inflammatory and will make Hashi's and Fibro worse. You might consider doing an anti-inflammatory diet at least temporarily to take the stress off your immune system. I had to do one as part of my treatment and have just decided to stay on it, as I notice a considerable difference in how I feel.

EDIT: When you say your labs were normal, can you post your labs? The reason is that many docs use an outdated "normal" range and consider it to be .5 to 5.0 for TSH but newer ranges are .3 to 2.5. So I was actually Hypo for YEARS before I finally went over 5.0 myself. It was only after I changed doctors that I realized that I went hypo about 7 years ago, when my TSH first went over 2.5. Since then I got steadily worse (and 90 lbs heavier) until I was diagnosed last November as being Hypo and then found my new doc this spring to treat me.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-15-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
(female)

wanna cry HB User

ERDee thanks I will find out which box I put my test results in and I will post them later tonight. So you think it is okay to keep trying it then? I have talked to the doctor before about it and she said the small dose shouldn't be causing any of my issues. The guy at RLC labs seemed more concerned than she did, he told me to stop it for a few days to see if it went away and try it again. I think they just don't want any bad press? Or maybe they actually care? Who knows, I just don't trust drug companies after all I have been through over the years with ambien, effexor and a few others horrible ones.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think I would call my pharmacist and ask them. Pharmacists usually know more about drugs and their possible adverse side effects than doctors do. The first few days I was on Thyroid USP I had a litany of symptoms...headache, sharp pains in my neck, jaw and chest (but not heart related), feeling REALLY tired after lunch, I gained 4 lbs in 5 days, light headed, etc. I think I'm just adjusting to the medicine, and nothing so far is intolerable, but I do sympathize with you because I, too, am going through this craziness. I keep hoping my body will adjust so I can feel better. Sometimes I feel great, other times I don't.

Can you contact the pharmacy and ask to talk to them about what's going on? They should be able to tell you if it's related and if it's dangerous.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
(female)

wanna cry HB User

I called the out of state pharmacy I had to go through to get it and they blew me off. Basically told me to stop taking it. I think tommorrow I may just take 1/2 a tablet and do that for a few days and see if any difference in how I feel.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
(female)

wanna cry HB User

TSH 2.620 0.400-5.500 uU/mL

Free T4 1.1 0.7-1.8 ng/dL

Free T3 3.2 1.8-4.6 pg/mL

Microsomal Antibody 66.2 <9- IU/mL H

Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
(female)

wanna cry HB User

do my results indicate that I should just stay on it?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Are you typically an anxious sort of person who doesn't adapt to change easily? Are you having a hard time accepting that you have this disorder? I don't ask in order to psychoanalyze you. It's just that 1/4 grain isn't considered a real dose and should have almost no effect at all, much less such severe ones. I recommend you try to stick with it for at least a couple more weeks. If you haven't adapted any at all, you need to have your doctor evaluate you for adrenal stress. Adrenal stress will make thyroid replacement very, very tough to impossible. All of the thyroid meds on the market say so in their prescribing information. That's something to seriously consider.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-17-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
(female)

wanna cry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Are you typically an anxious sort of person who doesn't adapt to change easily? Are you having a hard time accepting that you have this disorder? I don't ask in order to psychoanalyze you. It's just that 1/4 grain isn't considered a real dose and should have almost no effect at all, much less such severe ones. I recommend you try to stick with it for at least a couple more weeks. If you haven't adapted any at all, you need to have your doctor evaluate you for adrenal stress. Adrenal stress will make thyroid replacement very, very tough to impossible. All of the thyroid meds on the market say so in their prescribing information. That's something to seriously consider.
Hi yes i have a hard time dealing with change but I am wondering if I am allergic to some of the fillers or something? Like 1 1/2 hours after I take it my head gets numb and I get really dizzy. I will for sure stick with it. The doctor sent me home with a cup to do a saliva test is that for the adrenal stress test?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
(female)

wanna cry HB User

Midwest or anyone who reads this. I know you said it isn't even a real dose or anything so are you saying it isn't possible that it is causing my leg and hip pain? I read on RLC site that muscle pain is a bad side effect but is it that you think my dose would in no way cause this? I will keep taking it if you think it's cool and not causing this stuff. I hope the adrenal saliva test will show something. Thing is she only ordered me to do it from 11pm to midnight so it is only going by one sample. Was that a waste of time?

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna cry View Post
do my results indicate that I should just stay on it?
Your TSH was slightly elevated but not much. It looks like it wouldn't take much to get you back into the normal range. (<2.5)

Old 07-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
(female)

wanna cry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Your TSH was slightly elevated but not much. It looks like it wouldn't take much to get you back into the normal range. (<2.5)

If my tsh was elevated does that mean I would be hyper or hypo? If it would mean I am hyper then would treating me with nature throid elevate me rather than bring in down? I am so confused and not sure what is going on.

Closed Thread