It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
(male)

wantmy HB User
How rare is viral thyroiditis? What virus could cause this

Ive been searching around and it says that viral thyroiditis is rare however thats what they told me I have. I have constant redness in the back of my throat in each corner and my Lyme results show .74 which although thats normal i thought was elevated since the range is 0.00-0.90. I've been sick for about 4 years now, some periods i get better then i get worse again. Im constantly getting sick and in the winter i have sensitivity to the cold, now i have sensitivity to the heat. Anyone know exactly how rare viral thyroiditis is and what causes it?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: How rare is viral thyroiditis? What virus could cause this

Subacute viral thyroiditis is pretty easy to diagnose. you would have very high hormone levels, inflammation of the neck, sometimes a fever, and a low tsh, and if you take an uptake scan, despite being hyperthyroid, you would have a low uptake. It doesn't have anything to do with lyme disease, it's some sort of virus that attacks the thyroid, it's really uncommon, and usually cycles out in about 3-6 months. A doctor would find it without too much difficulty.

You could have a thyroid disease, not virus based, and that could be tested for as well, but again, I don't think it affects lyme disease numbers, it's a autoimmune disease

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
(male)

wantmy HB User
Re: How rare is viral thyroiditis? What virus could cause this

Yea i don't have an inflammation of the neck and my tsh was .01 low uptake. My thing is that my finger nails are getting very thin, and i've felt the way i feel for about 4 years on and off. I have difficulty walking (my legs bones joints are cracking and popping), my muscles in my body feel very tight. My doctor said thyroiditis doesnt cause this and since its "viral" and i happen to be one of the rare cases i was wondering if strep throat or maybe lyme disease could be the cause.

Closed Thread