It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
(male)

pikapp44 HB User
Mom had tt friday morning - at home fever

Mom had her TT Friday morning. The surgery itself went well, they pulled a few lymph nodes along with the thyroid. The problem was after. She got very nauseated from the anesthesia and was wretching/vomiting for several hours after the surgery, barely knew where she was. They gave her zophran and phenagrine and she passed out. Woke up a few hours later and had finally 'sobered up'. Her vitals were good after that, nausea passed she ate. I stayed overnight with her in the hospital. She didn't get much sleep but all was well from a vitals standpoint. Lots of pain and a stiff neck. She was discharged at 10am on Saturday. I drove her home but she actually started to get a fever in the car. She has been in and out of fever all day. I got very scared but when I checked online it said a low-grade fever was normal. I also called and spoke with the surgeon and he said this is not sepsis, this is not an infection and that about 60% of patients get it. The highest it got was 101.4 and is hovering just over 100. She doesn't have any pus but she does have a tiny bit of clear discharge. She's sleeping right now and if her fever gets higher we'll have to see what to do.

If you have experienced anything like this after your TT, please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Mom had tt friday morning - at home fever

In my case, I didn't get a fever, but the area on my neck was burning red hot. When I went for my 1 week follow up, I got antibiotic, and all was fine. It was a minor infection.

Sepsis isn't the only infection, you can get a skin infection, or a staph infection, or many types after surgery. Did they send her home with antibiotic?

If her fever is up high above 101 again (I think the 100 range is low grade, and expected, but over 101 is a fever), I would call and say I'd like to bring her in just to follow up and make sure all is good, and if after another call, the doctor really doesn't want to see her at all, I would just forget about him and go to the emergency room to make sure everything is okay. I find it strange that the surgeon didn't tell her to just come in for peace of mind, for him and her. I don't think fever is normal after surgery in general, I think it's a flag to make sure there's no infection.

Also, make sure she's not dehydrated and is drinking a lot in this weather.

Last edited by Reece; 07-25-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

angstrom HB User

Pikapp44: Sorry that your mom got so sick from the anesthetic. That happens to a lot of people from what they told me. I was slightly nauseated afterwards, but I think it was more from the dilaudid then from the anesthetic. The stuff they gave me for nausea cleared it right up.

I will echo everything Reece said in her reply -- Call the surgeon's office and ask (they told me to call immediately if my temp went over 100 for more than a day -- it was in the discharge notes and the surgeon even called me the next day to ask how I was doing) and make sure she's drinking a lot of water.

You and your mom are in my thoughts.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
(male)

pikapp44 HB User

My mom finally got a few hours sleep. Her fever is down to 99 and she's doing much better in regards to that, now it's just the pain around the incision for the most part.

When I spoke with the surgeon he said they gave her a pre-op antibiotic right before surgery so providing a follow-up antibiotic wouldn't be useful (not sure I agree with that).

The surgeon did say we could come back but we're in West Fort Lauderdale and he's at the U of Miami which is about 45 min away so he said if it gets worse to call or go to the emergency room if it gets very bad.

She has an appt at Cleveland Clinic with her endo on Monday which is only 15 min away so we think if her fever continues to stay low at 99 we'll let the endo give his opinion.

The incision looks like it has some blood underneath it. Did you get the same?

Also, she had to come off her asprin and plavix for this but the docs were debating when she should go back on it. The wound has to heal and that could slow it down but at the same time she could have a clot if she doesn't get back on it soon. What do you think?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

angstrom HB User

Hi Pikapp44 --

Good to hear that your mom's fever was down and that she was resting a bit. I hope that she's doing even better today after her endocrinologist appointment.

I think (someone correct me if I am wrong, please ) it takes something like 3 days for a wound to start to heal after surgery, but I'm not sure how long they would want her off the Plavix and aspirin.

I had blood visible through the steri-strips post op, so I think that is normal.

Let us know how she is (and you are!) doing.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
(male)

pikapp44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angstrom View Post
Hi Pikapp44 --

Good to hear that your mom's fever was down and that she was resting a bit. I hope that she's doing even better today after her endocrinologist appointment.

I think (someone correct me if I am wrong, please ) it takes something like 3 days for a wound to start to heal after surgery, but I'm not sure how long they would want her off the Plavix and aspirin.

I had blood visible through the steri-strips post op, so I think that is normal.

Let us know how she is (and you are!) doing.
Thanks for following up. Her fever has decreased although she is still bouncing between 99 and 100. She is visibly better though. Spoke with surgeon today and he advised her to start plavix and baby aspirin again. She was off of it for about 3 weeks, went thru surgery and thank G-D got thru it. She is still wearing compression socks to prevent clots just in case. In the hospital she was on a bed that actually moved to prevent clots and was wearing leg wraps that pulsated. The technology was pretty amazing.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

angstrom HB User

Very happy to hear that she is improving! Each day should bring a little more comfort to her. I will keep both of you in my thoughts.

Closed Thread