It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

PamelaNJ HB User
Very high thyroid peroxidase (TPO) Ab?

My lab work shows what appears to be a very high (TPO) Ab of 458 with a ref. range of 0-34. My T4, Free (Direct) is norman (1.02) as well as my TSH (3.520), T3 Uptake is 28 and Thyroglobulin, also normal at 22.1. Anyone have any ideas of what the high TPO ab would mean at 458?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Very high thyroid peroxidase (TPO) Ab?

I believe it means that you have hashi's, the TPO is the test for antibodies

your TSH is far from normal......normal should be around 1......yours is high

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Yes it does mean Hashimoto's thyroiditis which causes hypothyroidism. The highish TSH indicates HypoT and that FT4 just above 1 is most likely on the hypoT side too (would need to know the range for it to be more precise ). Are you having any symptoms? If you are they're most likely hypoT related.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

PamelaNJ HB User

Thanks for your responses. My gyn ran the tests and I now have to see my GP regarding this. I had a hysterectomy last year and associated the inability to loose weight and lack of stamina from that. Also my hair is falling out in the shower, I also attributed that to age and menopause. (Just about everything can be attributed to that right!!!!) I am reading some docs medicate for this and others wait and see? What has been your experiances?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaNJ View Post
Also my hair is falling out in the shower, I also attributed that to age and menopause. (Just about everything can be attributed to that right!!!!) I am reading some docs medicate for this and others wait and see? What has been your experiances?
menopause gets a bad rap......
I blame everything on the thyroid.....

Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
(female)

PamelaNJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
menopause gets a bad rap......
I blame everything on the thyroid.....

My GP appointment is next week. What would you think his first step would be? Would a GP usually refer you to an endocronolist for this. I forgot to mention I have borderline high cholesterol (237) and LDL at 149, Tri at 154. Has it been your experiance that this might be related. I have been trying to get those numbers down thru diet and exercise (to no avail!!)...

Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

High cholesterol is very common with HypoT. I've had mine measured only twice and the first time the "bad one" was borderline high - but the total level did come down "on it's own" between these 2 measurements - at the time of my first measurement I was poorly treated, the second time properly treated.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-29-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
(female)

PamelaNJ HB User

Hi, can you tell me what both your poor treatments and your proper treatment were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
High cholesterol is very common with HypoT. I've had mine measured only twice and the first time the "bad one" was borderline high - but the total level did come down "on it's own" between these 2 measurements - at the time of my first measurement I was poorly treated, the second time properly treated.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaNJ View Post
Hi, can you tell me what both your poor treatments and your proper treatment were?
If I remember correctly the first measurement was around the time I had had to increase my levothyroxine dose from 87,5 to 150 in just a couple of months and I still felt like crap. I think I also had my thyroid levels measured at that time (this was like 5 years ago so I don't remember precisely when these levels were taken) - my TSH was probably around 3 and FT4 19 and something (12-22). So FT4 pretty good but TSH showing I was still on the HypoT side (of course not according to my GP ). I increased the dose to 175 and even that wasn't enough and I had to take synthetic T3 along which has worked fine. The second measurement was probably 2.5 years ago (started a new job and got healthcare through that) when my thyroid medication was right - no thyroid symptoms, TSH unmeasureable because of T3 and Free T's at the high end of their ranges. I've heard cholesterol measurements are pretty standard practice but guess I don't look like "the typical high cholesterol case" (my idiot GP even stated that you only need to measure it once if it's fine - well I've decided "I won't get sick so I don't have to see him" - I've had an endo for years now to keep an eye on my thyroid issue and write my prescriptions)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-29-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
(female)

ezell333 HB User

Don't let them "Not" treat you. If you have the symptoms you need treatment regardless of what your Doctor's idea of normal is. If he/she won't do it find someone who will. Study this board, study the disease and arm yourself with all the information you can find so you can be an advocate for yourself. I learned this the hard way and am probably far worse than I would have been had I known what to ask and look for.

I would recommend two books to get you started:
"The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Arem
"Why do I still have thyroid symptoms? When my lab tests are normal" by Dr. Kharrazian

To say these books were enlightening for me would be an understatement.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
(female)

paradise2go HB User

This could be due to autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's but you must get an TgaB test to confirm the diagnosis. I have it and my T4 & T3 values keep going up and down. Good Luck - < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-31-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jayer HB User

My TPO was about the same number as yours when I did the test last summer.

The main thing I can tell you is most docs want to go the traditional route which is T4 meds only which may be fine for you, but if you start having trouble on that I would IMMEDIATELY start trying to find a doctor who will prescribe a T3/T4 combo meds (these docs are hard to find, this is not the main stream method of treatment) but a lot of people have a hard time converting T4 to T3 and feel worse on T4 meds which is the treatment of choice my most mainstream doctors...so keep this in mind as you start this journey!!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

Hashi's has many symptoms. I can't keep up with it. For starters...tiredness is one of them...to a point where you just can't function, brain fog, anxiety, hair falling off, dry hair, cold in hands and feet even when its not cold, burning sensation on hands and feet, i get welts around my body..seems as if there isn't enough circulation going around my body. I've always had a high TPO, mind is over the 1000s. It's a matter of changing up your diet, exercises, lot of of water and just living healthier. There are just some days that you don't feel well..and i do get panic attacks, but it's really hard to lower the numbers even with meds. I've been going through this for almost 5 years now, and some days are better than others. Even if my numbers are high, synthroid has helps me alot. But also living healthier has too.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
(female)

PamelaNJ HB User

Thank you all so much. My doctor appointment is this week with my GP. I assume he will refer me to an endo for this. Are most of you treated by an endo? I was wondering if you could give me an example of what a combo T3/T4 medication would be? Thanks again!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Some use synthetic T3 (like Cytomel) with their levothyroxine, some use natural thyroid hormone like Armour or Thyroid, that contains all the hormones produced by the thyroid - or a combination of these that seems to suit one the best.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-01-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Closed Thread