It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

Amah R HB User
Taking Thyroid Meds at Night

I have been taking thyroid meds (Levothyroxine) over half my life. When I was pregnant with my kids (who are 3 and 6) my OB/GYN said because of the morning sickness I could take my thyroid meds at night before bed as long as I was consistent.
The GIS doctor I was seeing moved and sold her practice to another doctor who is now the doctor I see for my thyroid problems. This new doctor had an all out fit because I was still taking my meds at night instead of in the morning even tho I have other meds I have to take that do NOT interact well with thyroid medicines. Is it really a problem WHEN the thyroid meds are taken as long as they are taken consistently?

I saw the thread on absorption and I know that is a factor as is consistency according to the paper that comes with the meds and it does state to take them in the morning but does it really matter? I know I am more consistent at night than in the morning chasing after my two little ones and trying to get them ready for the day. I more often than not forget to take pills. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Taking Thyroid Meds at Night

If you have no problem with taking your meds in the evening and everything is fine I see no reason to change your routine. You're certainly not the only one taking their meds at night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

Amah R HB User

Thank you. She made such a big deal about it I wasn't too sure. I am going to go back to taking them at night since it works out so much more effectively for me, and I am going to find a new GIS

Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

luvmy2girls HB User

I take mine at night for the same reasons.... I take meds in the morning that inhibit the absorption of the synthroid.. I'm not quite sure if my MD knows that I take them before bed or not but what she doesn't know won't hurt her..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have read of a small pilot study that the journal Clinical Endocrinology reported on recently that found taking levothyroxine at night might work even better than taking it in the morning. It's not a conclusive study, by any means, but the results were fairly consistent.

The researchers suggested several explanations for the results:
Even when waiting at least 30 minutes to eat, breakfast may be interfering with the intestinal absorption of levothyroxine thyroxine.
Bowel motility is slower at night, which means that it takes longer for the levothyroxine tablet to transit through the intestinal system, resulting in longer exposure to the intestinal wall, and therefore, better uptake of the medication.

The conversion process of T4 to T3 may be more effective in the evening.

So tell your new doctor to get over herself and keep doing what works for you!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
(female)

angstrom HB User

I am relatively new to taking Synthroid (just over 2 weeks now) and I've been taking it before bed (which is always at least 4 or more hours after eating). I read that study about a month ago and decided I'd try it that way. So far, so good.

Closed Thread