It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

Halley888 HB User
Hypothyroid - Trembling, weak muscles, leg pain symtpoms

I had a total thyroidectomy in July 2002. I've been on 88 mcg. of levothyroxine for quite a while, but have been recently changed to 100 mcg. Since November, my TSH has been up and down. It's 4.6 right now.

I've had trouble with the increased dosage, so the ENDO is having me alternate between the 88 & 100 mcg.

What I want to know is, has anyone else had trembling, weak muscles, muscle aches especially in my legs, heart palpitations with increased dosage? I've told the ENDO about these symtoms, but she just says my body has to adjust to the increased dosage. I feel like I have parkinsons. Sometimes, my hand is shaking so much that I can't put my key in the car door.

I've been on this dosage for a few months. Shouldn't my body have adjusted by now? I would really appreciate any replies. Thanks so much.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid - Trembling, weak muscles, leg pain symtpoms

TSH of 4.6 is way too high. You're hypothyroid and do need the dose increase. Your tremors and weakness might just be a sign of your hypo state, or it could be from the brand or type of thyroid med you're taking.

It's true that there is a certain amount of adjustment the body has to undergo when a dose changes, but a "few" months is certainly enough adjustment time. It's time to try something else.

Trembling can be a sign of a blood calcium deficiency. Thyroid surgery can damage parathyroid glands, causing calcium level issues. Do you think that happened?Although, I don't know if that problem could continue this long after a surgery. Just a thought.

Are you taking generic levothyroxine? If so, you should try a name brand. Or vice versa. Any one of the T4 meds could work differently within your body than the one you're taking. Three major endocrine societies have issued a statement that supports this fact. I have seen several people on the board report that Synthroid caused them leg pain which disappeared when they switched to another product. Besides Synthroid, in the US there are Levoxyl, Levothroid, and Unithroid. Plus, I think generics are made by two different companies. Any one of them might work better for you.

If you find you that none of the available products makes you feel well without causing leg and muscle pain, you should consider asking for a natural desiccated thyroid product. Most endos adamantly refuse to prescribe these, but millions of people have successfully taken them since their medical advent in the late 1800s. Endos like to say they're outdated and unsafe, both of which are patently untrue. If it turns out you can't tolerate any of the T4 meds, you should consider finding an MD who will prescribe a natural med for you.

Since you have no thyroid gland at all now, your well-being hinges on having an MD who will prescribe enough thyroid hormone for you to be well. If your TSH is that high at the moment, I'm doubtful that this is happening for you. Although, to his credit, your endo did increase your dose; but that won't help much if that particular product gives you intolerable side effects.

Also... this is critically important.... If your thyroidectomy was due to thyroid cancer, you must have your TSH suppressed to around .3 or lower in order to prevent a recurrence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread