It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Question Hypoechoic Nodules

I had an ultrasound done earlier last year where my nodules on my thyroid where found. I am due to have another ultrasound in the next couple of weeks, so I took my out results from last year to read so I could compare them with my upcoming ultrasound results. Last year I didn't understand as much as I do now.

I have two hypoechoic which I have learned tend to be more cancerous or malignant while hyperechoic tend to be more benign. I never has FNA or further investigation of my nodules. Here is what my report from last year says:

The right lobe of the thyroid measures approx. 2.8 x 1.0 x 1.4 cm.
The left lobe of the thyroid measures approx. 3.8 x 1.5 x 1.4 cm.

The thyroid parenchyma is diffusely heterogeneous. There is a 5 x 3 mm hypoechoic nodule noted within the lower pole of the right lobe of the thyroid.

A solid appearing 5 x 3 mm hypoechoic nodule is also noted within the right lobe of the thyroid.

What do you think? Do you think I should have had FNA done? My thyroid feels swollen internally, I have a lot of pressure in my neck, choking, etc. that I didn't have last year when this ultrasound was done. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your time!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Hypoechoic Nodules

The cut off for an FNA is about 1 cm, if those haven't grown, there shouldn't be any need for an FNA at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Hypoechoic Nodules

Why are the rules so black and white? I just read a study where they found that nodules less than 1cm tend to be more cancerous than those that are larger than 1cm.

Closed Thread