It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

wantmy HB User
Latest Lab Results how bad is it?

I know I'm hyper but I dunno exactly how bad my situation is

TSH .009
T3 269
Free T4 2.6
Total T4 16.7

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Latest Lab Results how bad is it?

It's not all about your levels but your symptoms too that tell you how bad the situation is. To comment your levels we'd have to know the reference ranges FT4 and FT3 are the most useful labs along with TSH.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-30-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
(male)

wantmy HB User

Hi finn, well Im constantly getting sick. I was in the hospital recently and had to stay in there because my heart rate was at 130bpm for over 12 hours. Now, a week later after im out of the hospital I have a bright red throat and I'm getting sick again. They pumped me full of anti biotics and they found out I had a virus at the time. I'm wondering if i should be tested for strep before I go and take any additional anti biotics for this bad sore throat.

My ranges are as follows

TSH .009 (.27-4.20)

T3 269 (80-200)

Free T 4 2.6 (.9-1.8)

total T4 16.7 H (4.6-12.0)

Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Have you ever been tested for thyroid antibodies? Are they doing anything about this HyperT or are they just "keeping an eye"

Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
(male)

wantmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Have you ever been tested for thyroid antibodies? Are they doing anything about this HyperT or are they just "keeping an eye"
Yea I think they said that I don't have any thyroid anti bodies which tells them that its thyroiditis? Not sure but they did tell me i have thyroiditis which i don't believe because ive been having the same symptoms for the past 4 years.

They are only treating me with propranolol 40mg 3 times a day and testing me every month. In the meantime I have lost over 20 pounds, am constantly sick, and I look sickly now

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Oh dear Which antibodies have they checked? I think your HyperT should be treated any case - this really isn't good for your body in the long run.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
(male)

wantmy HB User

How do they treat that? Yea I'm nervous I'm a 28 year old male so i know this is super rare for me to have. Thyroid problems run in the family but at such a young age. I'm under a lot of stress and have had past issues with mono, but I'm worried this is going to shorten my life. I don't drink, smoke, i always exercised try to watch my diet but i guess it all comes down to genetics.

I just re did my lab work again and my Results are as follows

TSH .009 .27-4.20
T3 160 80-200 (normal now)
Free t4 2.3 .9-1.8
Total t4 13.9 4.6-12.0

My vitamin d level was low too. I used to be a big weight lifter now ive lost most of my muscle, 25 pounds in weight and I don't do much of anything. I feel like im wasting away. I can't tolerate any excitement or stress (although this new bloodpressure med helps) my anxiety is still rough. I don't even go out doors much (although i try to get some vitamin d). My doctors say theres not much else they can do but sit and wait. Very frustrating. I've been having these symptoms for so many years, especially the anxiety. I'm wondering if my anxiety caused this or was the issue. Now i see people that don't drink have a higher death rate too (and i don't drink) maybe its time to get a few drinks in the system (just not now). Anyhow i do get scared especially with flu season. I don't want to take the immunization because of the bad stuff i've heard. I'm going to an immunologist/allergist maybe then can help *fingers crossed*

Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Ummm, they have drugs for HyperT - meds to keep this under control. I'm surprised they haven't told you this. I'm not saying they should hit this with full force but... HyperT consumes your Vit D storages too and is a risk factor for developing osteoporosis. Oh and I've probably been hypoT since I was 18 - it sucks but what can you do... (happy to be on my meds after such a long time not treated )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-31-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
(female)

Irisheyez82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmy View Post
Yea I think they said that I don't have any thyroid anti bodies which tells them that its thyroiditis? Not sure but they did tell me i have thyroiditis which i don't believe because ive been having the same symptoms for the past 4 years.

They are only treating me with propranolol 40mg 3 times a day and testing me every month. In the meantime I have lost over 20 pounds, am constantly sick, and I look sickly now
They should give you an Uptake to test how much iodine your thyroid takes in. A very high percentage points toward Graves disease so I recently found out. And a scan to test for hotspots I believe.
I have been on Tapazole for 5 years, it's done fairly well for me. I'm just trying to figure out what makes me have such opposite symptoms of hyperthyroidism. PTU the other drug for hyper has a higher risk of creating liver damage so they don't use that normally as first choice. I would ask to be switched to Tapazole, you may do better on that. However have them start you out at no more than 15mg a day. I started out at 10mg and they slowly increased my dose. Your TSH lab range is odd to me. Under .3 is very low.
Good luck, I really hope you feel better. I remember how bad it was for me before diagnoses. I luckly and suprisingly didn't end up in the hospital but that is probably only because I was stubborn. I was always sick and sick for long periods and developed skin boils, my immune system was dieing. I felt better within a couple of months with the help of antibiotics.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

The doctors are waiting to see if your numbers (all of them) go into normal range because they think it's a short lived thyroiditis and that corrects itself in a few months. If you have no lab work to back up the symptoms you say you've had for years, they probably don't want to treat you yet. What you need is a TSI test. It's much more reliable than an uptake scan. If you have these antibodies, then you have Graves disease, which is an auto immune disorder that can be treated with meds. It sounds to me like this is what you have been suffering with. Your FT4 is still elevated and your vitamin D being low is also a clue it's auto immune. The thing to watch is the Free T- 4 and the Free T- 3. The most important is the FT4. The antibodies lower the tsh. I went without meds for almost 5 months till the doctor treated me. I went on a small amount of meds (Methimazole) and quickly went into normal range. A lot of endos make the mistake of over medicating you though with this and you end up going the other way (hypo) I found another endo and basically weaned myself off meds. ( I stayed on meds 3 years). I am in remission now and have gone hypo without meds. Now I have to take Synthroid. I have antibodies for both auto immune thyroid diseases, Graves and Hashi's but in the end, the Hashi's wins out. Do some research on these diseases, you'll be much better off if you do, especially if you end up being diagnosed with Graves. You seem to have the symptoms. The beta blockers will help some.

Closed Thread