It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

mtm1215 HB User
Thyroid scan and Uptake Results, Help Please

I have been on treatment for Thyroid problems. I am both Hypo and Hyper depending on the day. I have 2 nodules which continue to grow in size as seen on u/S. Labwork numbers high one minute and low the next. Ive been on Synthroid since 2008

I just had tyroid Scan/Uptake
Results as follows......
Normal 24 hour uptake of 19.4%
No focal defect is noted, Which mean no nodules were seen.

How is it possible to have Normal Results and No Nodules seen when I not onlydo I have symptoms to back up a Hashimoto diagnosis but over 10 U/S showing the nodules.

I dont know what to think.....Anyone have normal results but labwork tells a different story??

What will the Endo think of the above results?

Thanks for any feedback!!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid scan and Uptake Results, Help Please

In terms of nodules, an uptake scan will indicate whether the nodules are "hot" or "cold" (a cold nodule will have a 85% chance benign, hot more like 90-95%).

So your nodules don't seem to be cold, which is good. The uptake scan will not "see" the nodules, unless they are "hot" (spilling out extra hormone) or "cold" in your case it seems they might be neither, but regular functioning thyroid tissue. (I'm not sure of this, ask the doctor).

A very high uptake (others here will know the numbers, something like 35%) would mean graves disease, in your case, I don't think that's an issue with you.

I don't think this tells any different story, you have thyroid disease. If the nodules are over 1cm, you can have an FNA, but the fact that there is no dominant cold nodule, means you are likely fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
(female)

mtm1215 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
In terms of nodules, an uptake scan will indicate whether the nodules are "hot" or "cold" (a cold nodule will have a 85% chance benign, hot more like 90-95%).

So your nodules don't seem to be cold, which is good. The uptake scan will not "see" the nodules, unless they are "hot" (spilling out extra hormone) or "cold" in your case it seems they might be neither, but regular functioning thyroid tissue. (I'm not sure of this, ask the doctor).

A very high uptake (others here will know the numbers, something like 35%) would mean graves disease, in your case, I don't think that's an issue with you.

I don't think this tells any different story, you have thyroid disease. If the nodules are over 1cm, you can have an FNA, but the fact that there is no dominant cold nodule, means you are likely fine.
Thank you so much for your reply! I had never had an uptake scan before so I wasnt sure what normal meant.

As I said earlier, I have been on synthroid with varying doses since 2008. 2 years later and Im still not regulated. Its very frustrating. Only one Endo accepts my insurance and he is like the rest of the Endos that others talk about. He doesnt listen to me.

He accuses me of not taking my meds and a number of other things instead of getting to the bottom of it!

Im afraid when I go see him that he will say I dont have a thyroid issue or Nodules because of scan results being normal and send me on my way. Its so upsetting!

Right now Im hypo since not taking meds for 4 weeks because of getting the scan...Im sooo tired and my hair is falling out by the handfuls, Thankfully I have thick hair!!

My sister has graves and had her thyroid removed a few years ago. I know all the dos and donts when it comes to taking the thyroid meds.

My 10 year old daughter had her tsh tested a few times and it shows Hypo each time. The Ped. Dr wants to send her to Endo and I havent yet. I dont want to put her on this roller coaster ride when no one can even get me regulated!!

Thank you again

Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
(female)

mtm1215 HB User
Re: Thyroid scan and Uptake Results, Help Please...FNA results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

Reece, I forgot to add.... I had a FNA in July 09 with following results.........

'1: Diagnosis
Right Thyroid: FNA: DEFERRED. NO DIAGNOSTIC CEllS
IDENTIFIED.

SEE COMMENT.
Microscopic Description: The cytoconcentrate smears are devoid of
any follicular cells. macrophages or appreciable colloid. The cell bliock
sections are also acellular.

2: Diagnosis
Left Thyroid: FNA: NO MAUGNANT CELLS IDENTIFIED. Limited
CELLULARiTY.

SEE COMMENT.

Microscopic Description: The cytoconcernrate smears are sparsely cellular.
Blood and rare uniform follicular cells are seen. No cystic changes are seen. The cell block sections are acellular.

Comments

Specimen #1: This thyroid nodule did not yield any diagnostic material. Suggest repeat FNA if clinically indicated.

Specimen #2: Suggest clinicaL/radiological correlation. If there is suspicion of a neoplasm. suggest repeat FNA for a more cellular sample.

What are rare Blood and follicular cells??

The Uptakke scan was normal so does that mean Im ok? Or should I have another FNA done?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I really can't read a cytology report (mine was easy, it just said cancer). It looks like your first one was no good, didn't get any tissue to sample, inconclusive, and the second one didn't get much either, mostly blood.

If you have had an increase in size/growth of the nodules, you can get another fna, and maybe you'll get better info. Otherwise, keep watching (maybe 6-8 months) for growth and changes, and if anything does, get another fna.

Closed Thread