It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User
Question Lump in thyroid, new lump in neck

Hi, I'm 33 years old. When I was 31 I found a lump in my neck and went doctor and he said it was a thyroid nodule. Had an ultrasound and FNA, large lump and FNA came back bland follicular cells with background inflammatory cells. I didn't want to do surgery, it wasn't bothering me if it wasn't cancer. So now at 33 still with the lump, hasn't been bothering me. Back in April I found a new lump, top of throat under chin. Started feeling like I had pressure in neck under jaw and into both ears where I had to keep cracking my ears open like when you fly or have a cold. It started getting worse like someone was choking me at the top of my throat. Went to new ENT, he said probably inflammed lymph node from possible dental issues. Put me on antibiotics, made it worse and lump still there. He sent me for an ultrasound and blood work. Ultrasound says Essentially unchanged complex cystic 3.3 X2.1 cm nodule. Stable complex solid and cystic, remains irregular and biopsy recommended. Blood work says I'm moderately anemic at 9.2 and thyroglobulin is 138. They told me 40 and under is normal. I am scheduled for another FNA Thrusday morning but I am worried, could these be signs that I have cancer? Could the new lump be cancer spread to lymphnode? btw my new lump is larger than a pea but a little smaller than a jelly bean. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm worried sick and can't take the waiting...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Lump in thyroid, new lump in neck

it could be another thyroid nodule......
don't think the worst!
thyroid cancer is highly curable and slow growing, so even if it was the worst case scenario, you will be fine! There are a lot of thyroid cancer survivors on this board, and I'm sure you will hear reassuring words from them. Take one step at a time.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

Exactly. I had the same thing and i couldn't breathe, swallow, move my neck, headaches, and so on. I decided to have my thyroid removed 2 wks ago no more problems. I dont regret my decision. Mine wasn't cancer, totoally stressed it was, but i'm doing much better now.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurlbert3 View Post
Exactly. I had the same thing and i couldn't breathe, swallow, move my neck, headaches, and so on. I decided to have my thyroid removed 2 wks ago no more problems. I dont regret my decision. Mine wasn't cancer, totoally stressed it was, but i'm doing much better now.
Really? How was the surgery? One doctor made it sound awful, the new one says its no big deal, that I would be in and out in about an hour and a half and go home the same day. The only problem is I am terrified of surgery. I think I'm more scared of the tube down the throat thing when they put you to sleep. I am soo scared its cancer. Cancer just seems to be trying to get me. At 29 had to precancerous colon polyps, at 32 had a precancerous cervix that I had cut out...now this. I keep reading that just because your thyroglobulin is high does not mean its cancer but I can't help but feel that it does. When I got that call yesterday I just cried and cried felt my world is comming to an end..I'm self employed by the way, bad insurance, bad economy so business is down. If disease doesn't kill me my 14 med bills that I've racked up over the last few years will.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
it could be another thyroid nodule......
don't think the worst!
thyroid cancer is highly curable and slow growing, so even if it was the worst case scenario, you will be fine! There are a lot of thyroid cancer survivors on this board, and I'm sure you will hear reassuring words from them. Take one step at a time.
Thanks, I'm trying to take it one step at a time and trying to think positive. I keep telling myself if it was cancer then the origional lump would have gotten bigger but it remains unchanged, but I guess maybe that isn't even a factor?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

Has anyone had an FNA come back just fine, then have surgery and there is actually cancer?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Angela....try to relax. So tomorrow is the FNA? I had hurthle cells in my FNA which means it's suspicious, and they won't know if it's cancer until they take it out.....so I had the left side and the isthmus removed and I was terrified. I never had surgery before, never even was in a hospital before as a patient.
my surgery was easier than I expected. I worried myself sick for nothing. So anyway it was benign, but I now have nodules on my right side. It's a multi-nodular goiter and hashi's. I think the reality of the surgery is in between what both these doctors are telling you......it's not terrible like the first guy says, and it's not an outpatient like the 2nd guy is telling you. I was in the hospital overnight at least and maybe one more night. I forget, it was 5 years ago. Don't worry, go get the FNA and then go from there.....
let us know tomorrow how it went, but you won't get the results back immediately, but most important, don't worry!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

The sx wasn't that horrible. I had to stay overnight. It's been 2 wks now since then and my throat feels weird and my neck has occasional stiffness but i'm doing great. The worst part of it was having a stupid drain in for a wk. It bothered the hell out of me. Trust me it;s not that bad. And yes if it is cancerous....it is curable. Just breathe and everything will work out.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

Well I had my biopsy today. It wasn't to bad. The first one I had done in a doctors office and he just stuck me once. Today it was in the hospital with ultrasound. I wasn't numb for it. We talked about it and since I had a reaction once to a shot at the dentist, the doc thought it wouldn't be a good idea. I was fine with it after all I made it through one other time without being numb. It was very uncomfortable but not intollerable. He took three samples out of my biggest nodule. I also found out today that I have several small ones I didn't know I had. I should hopefully have the results by Tuesday. Right now though I am pretty sore and it hurts to swallow, if it feels like this just to have some needles stuck in my neck I can't even imagine what it feels like to have surgery. I asked this doctor about that too, and he says like my other doc said that it is simple and I will go home same day. I just hope that I won't have to find out. The doc said that it is not necessarily a bad thing that I have several nodules, that it is more concerning if there is just one. Does anyone know anything about that? I haven't had a chance to look it up yet, I'm still surprised that I have several, I've only been told about the one that you can see.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes absolutely, one is more suspicious than a bunch of them....you may have a multi-nodular goiter....
and again I disagree that you will be going home the same day
if you are sent home the same day, there is something incredibly wrong......

Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I only had one, and it can back ok. I had to stay overnight. I cant imagine going home the same day, i could barely function. Like i said beore sx wasn't horrible. I'm doing exceptionally well now.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

At least I don't feel so bad about having more than one lump. Seems I have at least a couple on each side. I can only imagine how bad it feels to have the surgery, I was miserable all day after the biopsy yesterday. Thankfully I woke up todayfeeling almost 100%. Still an ache especially when I sneeze lol. They were talking on tv today about how a positive attitude can really make a difference when it comes to illness. So this weekend I'm going to think only happy thoughts and not worry about what the test results are going to say..They are what they are and its not going to change anything by spending the weekend dwelling on the what if's..

Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurlbert3 View Post
I only had one, and it can back ok. I had to stay overnight. I cant imagine going home the same day, i could barely function. Like i said beore sx wasn't horrible. I'm doing exceptionally well now.
I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well, it gives me hope...

Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

If you have to have sx just remember it will get better. I did. My neck still has stiffnes like i slept on it wrong and my voice sounds funny by the end of the day but that's normal and it will get better. But i dont regret my decision because i feel so good now. I finally have my life back again.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
(female)

AngelaKay77 HB User

Hey sorry I've been gone, computer locked me out. Well I got my biopsy test results on Tuesday...It does not show cancer but it's findings are suspicious enough that they can't rule it out. I've read that an FNA is not conclusive enough anyway. So I don't know how I feel. I meet with my doctor on Monday to discuss test results and discuss options, the nurse I spoke with over the phone said that the doctor is probably going to want me to go ahead and have surgery. I REALLY don't want to have surgery, but I continue to have neck symptoms... still have lump at top of throat under chin, ears still getting clogged up from time to time and still feel that choaking feeling at the top of my throat off and on. I don't know if any of that is related to my thyroid but its been going on for months and not getting any better. I asked the doctor if the lump under my chin was related to the lump in my thyroid and he said only if my thyroid is cancer, so now I'm really nervous. Has anyone that has had thyroid issues had lumps anywhere else or have had that choking feeling at the top of the throat?

Closed Thread