It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
How has anyone successfully lowered their RT3?

My RT3 is 478, yet my FT4 and FT3 are both on the high end. My doc is more holistic and disagrees with T3 lowering RT3 and believes only nutrients like selenium, zinc and iodine will work. She let me try 5mg Cytomel as a trial, but I'm afraid if my RT3 isn't lower in 4 weeks when I get retested she won't let me keep taking it. I'm taking selenium and zinc but I'm afraid they either won't work as well or as fast and I'm feeling so bad right now I need something to work fast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
(female)

Ktay14 HB UserKtay14 HB User
Re: How has anyone successfully lowered their RT3?

Hi-- I too have a very high Rt3 (449). My doctor has put me on an adrenal complex called Quantum Adrenal Complex (I take 2 in the morning) and he also wants me to take Seriphos which is supposed to help with high cortisol. I take 2 of those before bed. I have only been on these supplements for 2 days so I don't really know how it will work. He wants me to try it for 6-8 weeks and then if it doesn't work we will talk about adding thyroid hormone. I am very frustrated at this point because I feel like I am taking all sorts of vitamins and supplements and not feeling any better. What have you tried and are you having any success? Have you done a 24 hour cortisol test?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I did a saliva test about 1 1/2 years ago showing my cortisol was high and I recently did one last month that showed everything was normal. Not sure how that happened since my thyroid is still messed up and I wasn't taking anything for adrenals.

Right now my doc has let me try adding 5mg Cytomel and I'm also taking selenium, zinc and an omega 3. I get new labs in a couple weeks so I'll know if anything is working. In the meantime I feel awful. Very dizzy and nauseous all day and a lot of inflammation.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

I am so sorry that you feel so bad. I can relate. It is awful and so frustrating. From what my doctor has said and from what I have read, the high RT3 is a result of the high cortisol (mine was quite high as well) and until you get the adrenals resolved the thyroid hormone is not going to work. Have you read the book and website Stop the Thyroid Madness? The website is great but I recommend the book for even more valuable info. I think you can buy it on Amazon. She talks a lot about the importance of addressing the adrenals first. I will keep you posted on how these supplements work for me and it might be worth looking into for you. Have you had your Vit. D, Vit B12 checked as well?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
(female)

oops-- I guess it will not let me post where to buy. Just go the website or google it and you will find....

Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

According to my last saliva test, my adrenals are fine so my doc isn't doing supplements for that. I've also read high RT3 can be caused by low ferritin and mine was very low for a long time because none of my doctors knew to test for it. My B12 and D are also in good ranges.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
(female)

I just read something interesting online about rT3 and ferritin. This site said that before you start T3 your ferritin should be at least 50 with a goal of 70-90. If your ferritin is below 50 you will need to heavily supplement with iron or you may have adverse side effects from even a small amount of T3. I thought that was interesting and something I had not heard before. I actually just switched to an energizing iron to increase my ferritin which is currently 26. If you google Reverse T3 and Thyroid resistance the website I referenced is the first link. Lots of interesting info on rT3 and T3 dosing. Hope that helps.

Closed Thread