HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Fluctuating level??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/769479-fluctuating-level.html)

aryoung3112 09-23-2010 08:55 AM

Fluctuating level???

Hello everyone,

Back around March of this year I decided to go and see the doctor that had removed a goiter in 2006. This past feb. I had been feeling really crappy - tired a lot, weight slowly was increasing, constipated, and hair falling out terribly. Here are the labs:

This is a few months old:
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
Sodium 139
Potassium 3.4 (low)
Chloride 103
Bicarbonate 26
Anion Gap 13
Glucose 114 (high)
BUN 9
Creatinine .79
eGFR >60
eGFR African American >60
Calcium 8.9
Albumin 4.3
Total Protein 7.5
Alk Phos 68
Bilirubin Total .3
AST (SGOT) 18
ALT (SGPT) 19

TSH with REFLEX FREE T4
TSH 3.06

After I had gotten the results back the doctor stated that he was not an expert but the I was normal. My concern is that according to the normal lab levels my glucose was high and my potassium was low and after going and getting a copy of my labs, I became aware but he had not made me aware of it. I think those two alone should bring some concern. Well months has gone by and I'll say around June I finally found an endo that would take my insurance. It took 3 months for me to be seen, whereas since I could not be seen I had been taking probiotics and I've been trying to change some of the foods, as well as the weather and my children's smart remarks has made it to where I have to get up and move around. I have to motivate myself everyday because whatever is wrong with me it was affecting my home. Lately my blood pressure has been fluctuating from stage 1 to stage 2 but mainly at stage 1 according to the self test. The nausea has also gone away (which I believe came from the BP being on the high end and the constipation). It appears that my hair is trying to grow back very slowly. I said how ironic that when I finally find an endo my TSH high sensitivity is 2.309, my T4 is 1.22, and she said they do not test the T3. I have been feeling a little better but the pains in my bones and the swelling in my legs and feet has not gone away. I was looking at my labs after the my surgery and it was 2.0 to which I was feeling much better back then. Sorry for being so long but I guess my question is what can make the levels fluctuate like that. I read somewhere on the internet that sometimes the weather may have an affect and/or could it possibly be something else going on? My sister told me to get my kidneys tested and checked for osteoporsis. Anyone have any ideas? :dizzy:

midwest1 09-23-2010 09:21 AM

Re: Fluctuating level???

Only the last two tests in the list relates to thyroid. It's easy to see, though, that you're hypothyroid based on TSH above 1.

Are you taking thyroid replacement? If you aren't, you clearly need to be. If you are taking it, you need a higher dose (and an MD who understands that there is no "normal" if it isn't "normal" for [b]you[/b]).

aryoung3112 09-23-2010 02:43 PM

Re: Fluctuating level???

[QUOTE=midwest1;4332446]Only the last two tests in the list relates to thyroid. It's easy to see, though, that you're hypothyroid based on TSH above 1.

Are you taking thyroid replacement? If you aren't, you clearly need to be. If you are taking it, you need a higher dose (and an MD who understands that there is no "normal" if it isn't "normal" for [b]you[/b]).[/QUOTE]

Thank you for responding. I feel like I am going crazy sometimes. I will continue to search for a MD that will listen. As for your question on whether or not I am on thyroid replacement? No, I went straight from the hospital because of chest pains and fatigue to an endo surgeon and to surgery to remove the goiter. After that I was told that I was fine.