It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User
Question Thyroid causing vision problems?

I had my thyroid removed 2 months ago and here recently i have noticed that my vision really fluctuates. I have a hard time focusing at times, blinking helps for a few minutes than vision off again. I wouldn't consider it a true blurring of vision but sometimes it takes alot of effort to focus things so they are sharp. I had my eyes examined and they are fine. Can synthroid cause this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid causing vision problems?

Low thyroid can cause it. In the same way as hypoT creates the hallmark sign of a slow Achilles reflex, eye muscles that adjust to dim/bright light and regulate focus can become slower.

How do you think your levels are? Any other hypo signs/symptoms to make you think your dose isn't exactly right?

Keep in mind... Synthroid does not "cause" symptoms. Any problems are almost solely due to an inappropriate dose of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

Well that makes sense. I had my levels checked over a wk ago and they were still high but the endo up'd the dose and i was told it could take up to a month before i start to notice any changes. I still feel like crap all around but this vision issue is kind of scary because i feel like i have to work twice as hard to focus on things. Thyroid problems truly suck dont they?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I had some vision issues after I had RAI for thyroid cancer. It took about 6 months or so, and then it suddenly got better on it's own. I had a low prescription, my eye tests were the same as before, I used my glasses a bit more for a while, and then I was fine.

I think in my case it was inflammation from the RAI---an eye doctor told me it can affect the tissue around the eyes.

Closed Thread