It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2000, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

KimberlyV HB User
Hyperthyroid, but gaining weight

Hello all! I have a thyroid question that has me so confused. My doctor just checked my thyroid about 2 weeks ago (I had my thryoid removed 2 years ago) and said my TSH was way too low. So she took me off of my Synthroid. Does too low of TSH mean I am hyperthyroid? And if it is too low, then why wouldn't she increase my dose, rather than lowering it. Also, I am gaining weight like crazy and I thought most hyperthyroid people lose weight like crazy. Can someone please shed some light on all of this. I am so confused! Thanks a bunch! PS I also have gallstones. Could this make my TSH levels messed up and cause weight gain?

Old 11-22-2000, 01:37 PM   #2

ser HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid, but gaining weight

A good way to remember is that synthroid is your thyroid T4 so if you increase your med levels you were low(hypo) and if you lower your med levels you were high(hyper).

So keep that in mind ... TSH if it is low your T4 will be high (hyper) too much med so they should lower the dose. and in reverse if your TSH is high your T4 will be low (hypo) too little med and they should increase your dose.

I hope I got it right correct me if I have it backwards. TSH will be the reverse of your T4
<p>[This message has been edited by ser (edited 11-22-2000).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2000, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

KimberlyV HB User

Okay, here is what confuses me. The blood order had TSH checked as the blood test to do. All the dr told me was the test came back too low, so she took me off of my Synthroid all together. So even after what you told me, I am still confused. I started out my synthroid at .075, then they took me down to .050 and then down to .025, then off of it altogether. Now I am gaining weight terribly and so exhausted. I am so confused.

Old 11-22-2000, 01:50 PM   #4

ser HB User

OK Are you eating more? Really look at your calories. I eat more when hyper. She took you off because you were getting to much T4. it takes about 7 weeks to see the change in your t4 levels. You may just have to wait it out and see. Your body may have been use to running fast and now that it is back to "normal" you feel slow.

Old 11-22-2000, 08:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Kimberly,

Did you get a copy of your TSH lab report?
Just what TSH is the doctor saying is too low?
It may not be too low for your personal needs.

Look in the information archive I started here, for an article about TSH. Let us know what your TSH is, too, if you will.

Old 11-27-2000, 05:30 AM   #6
(female)

KimberlyV HB User

I believe the dr. said my TSH is .2, but I can't remember for certain.

Old 11-28-2000, 06:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KimberlyV:
<B>I believe the dr. said my TSH is .2, but I can't remember for certain. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that sounds pretty hyper to me.
But, my TSH has to be around .30 for me to be well...we are all so different.

Sometimes symptoms are typical, but can be reversed, too.
It could be that you are so hyper it makes you feel hungry all the time and you actually eat more calories than you are using. The book, The Thyroid Solution has a lot of information how we can help ourselves, in regard to thyroid imbalances, diet, weight loss, etc.

Old 12-04-2000, 11:32 AM   #8
(female)

KimberlyV HB User

Okay, I just had my thryoid rechecked. Doc just called and said that is came back at 5.5, and that I need to start back on the Synthroid. I will be taking the .025. Does this mean that I am Hypo now or Hyper? I am assuming she means the TSH is 5.5 and not the T4. Anyone understand all of this and can help me? Thank you!

PS What range should the TSH be in and also the T4?

Old 12-05-2000, 09:14 PM   #9

ser HB User

Kimberly- TSH is 0.5 to 6 and free T4 0.7 to 1.9. At 5.5 you Have a Hypothyroid. So she took you off all meds and found you still need some synthroid. She will prob test you again in 7 weeks. Have you had any drastic changes in your life? Stress is a factor as well as diet. I hope that the new dose does the trick.

Old 12-06-2000, 05:19 AM   #10
(female)

KimberlyV HB User

Thanks for your information. That clears if up for me. I haven't had any drastic changes in my life lately. I am however getting ready to undergo gall bladder removal surgery next Tuesday, so I suspect that my thyroid will probably go wacko again after that. Hopefully since she has me back on the Synthroid, I can lose some weight. I have gained several pounds since she took me off of the synthroid, so now hopefully I can lose some of those. Do you think that is a possibility? Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-06-2000, 02:18 PM   #11

ser HB User

I hope you can loose some weight. With the surgury however you may have to wait a bit to start being active? I found a good diet and exercise is the only way to maintain as I grow older 30+

Closed Thread