It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2001, 12:16 PM   #1

Sitaram HB User
Taste buds changed.Food tastes funny!

A friend of mind with hyperthyroidism had radioactive treatment some months ago to diminish the activity of their thyroid. Subsequently, as anticipated, they became hyperthyroid and began taking Synthroid, which they must now take for life.

They began with 100 micrograms once a day, and after after one month, the dosage was increased to 125 mcg.

The problem is that they always have a strange taste in their mouth, which they suspect is the result of the synthroid medication. All foods taste funny, except for very sweet foods. Meats are especially unpalitable at times.

Has anyone else had this experience, after similar thyroid treatment?

Any advice or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Also, they daily experience severe muscle cramps/spasms in various parts of the body at various times, arms, legs, chest, side, etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice/feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2001, 04:03 PM   #2

ser HB User
Re: Taste buds changed.Food tastes funny!

It will take time to get the medicine regulated. You need to hang in there. Try buying a book on the thyroid for your friend Like the Thyroid solution. The more you know can help the frustration of the wait. Write down all the symptoms and let the Dr know. It does get better. <p>[This message has been edited by ser (edited 01-28-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2001, 11:33 PM   #3

lady di HB User
Re: Taste buds changed.Food tastes funny!

hi. the only time i had an experience like that with the tastes of food changeing, and a strange taste in my mouth was when they gave me zoloft for the depression side of hypothyroidism. it didnt last long, but it sure was strange. im sure glad i didnt have to take it too long (but it helps people).

Closed Thread