It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2002, 08:16 AM   #1

theewilliams HB User
TSH ONLY? what's up with that?!

Going off to have lab work done AGAIN!!!!! Went to the physician yest. Specif. requested full line of thyroid lab work. His reply was TSH is the only one nec. to determine wether or not there is a change from "NORMAL". I was alittle discouraged BUT I hold hope that with the Endo. appt. I have at the end of next month things will finally be looked at differently. I did manage to have included in the lab work a Diabities test and one of the Adrenal tests (actually its a type of kidney test which he believes will show if there is any abnormal adrenal function.
Doc asked if the tests come back NORMAL (which he says he thinks they will) do I wish to be treated for Depression and anxiety!?!?!?

for now I'm not going that route! I do with all my heart believe my body is telling me it all stems from the thyroid and I wish to fix it as best I can first without covering up or causing more symptoms with side effects.

Old 01-12-2002, 10:03 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: TSH ONLY? what's up with that?!

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations, theewilliams. But I think your instincts are to be trusted. If your doctor won't order the tests you need, you can actually have them done (paid for out of pocket) on your own.

There are labs that will conduct thyroid panels of the blood or saliva without a doctor's referral. Some of them will also check thyroid antibodies if you suspect Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I can't post the links because they're commercial sites, but the blood test lab is mentioned at thyroid.about.com and is done through Healthcheck USA. For saliva tests, type in "thyroid saliva test" in a search engine like ***********, and you will have some listings. Tests should be under $200 for the full set.

You can then take these results to another physician (or to yours if you still like him/her) for interpretation and discussion. Some doctors do not believe that saliva tests are a good reference tool, but the information can be backed up with blood tests if they feel really strongly about it. Good luck with the new Endo!

Here is a description of Saliva Thyroid Panel tests, and why they are comparable to blood tests:

<B>Ease of Collection:</B>
This group of tests (panel) is done using a random saliva collection. No blood is required.

<B>Economy:</B>
These tests are economically priced. Comparable blood tests can cost up to 250% more.

<B>Scientific Advantage:</B>
Measuring the free fraction level in tissue (salivary gland) gives a good reflection of the activity of the hormones. These tests are at least 10-1000 times more sensitive than the blood/serum tests that are usually done.

<B>What does this panel measure?</B>
The panel has 4 tests: Free T4, Free T3, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, & Thyroid antibody.
It is important to point out that no single test is completely reliable on its own. For this reason, we offer a panel of tests to help diagnose or confirm a clinical diagnosis based on your history and physical exam.

<B>Is this test for you?</B>
Major signs and symptoms of thyroid disease are:

Fatigue/Lethargy
Nervousness/Anxiety
Dry skin & hair
Hoarse/slow speech
Palpitations
Cold Intolerance
Increased appetite
Facial Swelling
Constipation / Bowel hyperactivity
Increased sweating
Weight loss/gain
Excessive menstrual flow
Sleep disturbances
<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 01-13-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2002, 01:25 PM   #3

theewilliams HB User
Re: TSH ONLY? what's up with that?!

Thank you AtrfulD,

It is certainly information I will look up and hold onto.

My original dx was Graves, SOOOOOO hyper that I was experiencing hypo symptoms. Therefore the decision was to receive RAI. That was ten years ago.

Closed Thread