It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2002, 11:14 AM   #1

Karima HB User
Fibro: is it undertreated thyroid issue?

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2 years ago and currently 2 weeks into my increase of meds as my levels have changed. But prior to the diagnosis of Hashi's, my pc diagnosed me with fibro when my thyroid lab results returned with 'normal' levels. The symptoms were the same so of course he went with fibro.

However the first labs did not include the TPO test for antibodies, just TSH, free T4,T3. When the symptoms continued after the fibro diagnosis, I insisted on the TPO test which in fact revealed I was way over the high and he diagnosed Hashi's.

I have heard alot recently that fibro is really just undertreated or undiagnosed thyroid. Then I asked why after starting on thyroid meds and getting back 'normal' labs, could you still feel fibro symptoms? Because a labs 'normal' range may not be and often is not a range that is effective for you to feel well. Proper adjustment of the dose should remove those fatigue and muscle aches and pains eventually.

I have a friend who is a staunch believer that this is the case with Fibro. I bought into it as you see when I was diagnosed with Fibro, when in fact I had Hashi's after further testing.

Would it be unreasonable to suggest to a doctor if your labs are 'normal' and you still feel the same symptoms, to start on a low dose of thyroid meds and see if it helps? I wonder how many people are suffering needlessly with an incorrect diagnosis of Fibro?
Any ideas? Karima

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2002, 11:42 AM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Fibro: is it undertreated thyroid issue?

I had fibromyalgia after my thyroidectomy (before I was put on medication). It became so painful that I shuffled my feet instead of picking them up when walking, so I joked that I had an idea of what it felt like to be in your 90s.

After all my follow-up treatments, I started the thyroid med. As the dosage was increased, I definitely noticed an improvement (and eventual elimination) of the fibro symptoms. I find that my walking slows and carpal tunnel-like pains also flair up in my hands, arms and shoulders when I'm hypo.

I don't know if I would say that ALL fibromyalgia patients are hypothyroid, but it wouldn't surprise me to discover that many are misdiagnosed.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi Karima,
I agree with Artful, it may not always BE thyroid, but certainly I agree with you, too, that a thyroid med TRIAL is in order, and will not be harmful. It may even lead to the solution that is needed.

It irritates me no end that doctors are so eager to hand out prescriptions for expensive meds with lots of bad side-effects to treat symptoms, yet are so reluctant to even try a med that is natural to the body for a condition that is so frequently un- or mis-diagnosed!

<p>[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 01-04-2002).]

Old 01-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #4

Karima HB User

Hi,
I would like to post a website for information that fibro is possibly a metabolic inbalance or undertreated thyroid. It is strictly for information purposes only and if this is not permitted here, please remove it at the boards discretion.

You will find a user friendly place, lots of reading material and strong arguments for this possibility.

When you access the main page, look to the left and click on 'site map' and at the next page at the top under General Information, you will see 'What we know about Fibromyalgia'. Click on that.

The questions and answers area is also excellent reading and the many, many articles also. Given that there is no definites regarding the cause of fibro, I find this well documented argument worthy of a good read.
<A HREF="http://www.drlowe.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.drlowe.com/</A>

Old 01-06-2002, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi Karima,
PLEASE post your link in the Information Archive.

I esp. liked reading this very true statement I found on a page of that website:

"Whatís most important to realize is this: The variation in how different patients respond to the same TSH or T3 level makes the reference ranges (formerly called the "ranges of normal") for the T3, TSH, or any other hormone totally without value in finding the dose of thyroid hormone thatís safe and effective for individual patients.[1,p.1217]"

<p>[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 01-06-2002).]

Closed Thread