It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2002, 03:35 PM   #1

MissiM HB User
Med ????

I take Levoxyl 100 plus MCG's (I forgot 125 or 150)and I want to know why it takes so long for the meds to get into your system. On my last visit to the DOC he said " it is safe to say that your thyroid doesn't work at all" He has doubled my meds 2x's so far and I am still so tired. I go next week for a blood test again. My doc thinks he will double it again.....Why doesn't he just give me a higher dosage or start out at a higher dosage?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Med ????

Even doubling the dose is more agressive than what I think a doctor shoul be doing. Inceasing the dose that quickly is a big stress on your body. This weakens your adrenal glands, and weak adrenals have many of the same symptoms that hypothyroidism has. Your best bet is to SLOWLY increase your dose. Sometimes it takes months for the TSH to follow your med changes, depending on your body. Also, TSH can vary as much as threefold during the course of a day, making it an inaccurate indicator, anyhow. (This according to the online thyroid text at <A HREF="http://www.thyroidmanager.org)" TARGET=_blank>www.thyroidmanager.org)</A>

Is your doc going by TSH alone, or are T4 and T3 also being checked. My recomendation is to base your treatment on Free T4 and Free T3 tests and not put so much weight on TSH. Again, progress slowly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

blondegal HB User

Double your dosage all at once??? RED FLAGS!!! That much would worry me. I take Levoxyl 125mcg and that much would send me into cardiac arrest, I'm afraid<p>[This message has been edited by blondegal (edited 01-11-2002).]

Old 01-11-2002, 02:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

We need to remember that everyone is different and has different needs. While doubling may be a red flag to one, it may be a saving grace to another.

My med was doubled and tripled several times by my endo. Only once did it seem to make my pulse faster, and then that was fixed by taking copper and zinc.
We are still tweaking my dose.

Right now, I am adding 30 mg per week, by doctor's orders. I feel just fine.

MissM, it is standard procedure to start lower and increase, trying to find the dose that makes the symptoms go away. Hormone needs cannot really be measured, and are found by trial. Our needs are all too different.

Old 01-11-2002, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

blondegal HB User

I wanted to say exactly what you said TreeFrog but haven't been able to post at all - last week or so. After many failures, I ran some test messages and they didn't come up for awhile after I posted. Please ignore my ignorant posts

Old 01-11-2002, 10:07 AM   #6

MissiM HB User

Thanks TreeFrog,
It is nice to know that I am not the only one who gets doubled meds. My Doc said my Thyroid was so bad he was suprised I could function at all. He also said there may be a good chance of having to take over 300MCG's before I feel any better. I don't know exactly what tests he runs but I will ask the next time I go to the lab. I do know that I don't feel better. Some of the doom and gloom feelings have lifted a bit, but I am always so tired. I can sleep 15 plus hours a night and still need a nap. I have no life at this point because all I do is sleep. I cannot lose 1lb and I don't even have an appetite anymore. I struggle at work to be mildly motivated and not sleep at my desk. I have a great group of people to work with but there is only so much they can accept.....They do have a business to run. Anyway thanks for your posts It is nice to talk to people who suffer the same way!

Closed Thread