It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2001, 03:37 PM   #1

lillylou HB User
TSH/post-op

Hi
The short version of the story is my TSH was 148 5 wks after having the second half of my thyroid out for a growing goiter.(Sept 13) 1st half 11 yrs ago(adenoma0
I felt HORRIBLE,but, was so bad I couldn't see how bad I was.After surgery they kept me on my orginial dose.025 levoxyl and said it would suffice. At my 6 wk follow-up the endocrinologost put me on .125 synthroid and several days later I got put on.25 cytomel for 10 days. I am not seeing that endocrinologist anymore and now my family MD just put me back on Cytomel for another 7 days. (It's a long story)

Anybody with experience of how soon I would feel better.The tired is not as bad and my mind is working again,but, the muscle twitching(calcium is OK), muscle pain,carpal tunnel and joint pain is still bad. I can't get straight answers .Anthing I have had or have involvong nerve pain has been bad(I have trigeminal neuralgia ,sciatica and carpal tunnel)I feel the flareups are related to the hypothyroidism.

Old 11-13-2001, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: TSH/post-op

Hi lillylou,
I hope you are feeling better every day!

It can take 6-8 weeks to feel a change after changing med dose, and some symptoms may take much longer to go away.
That your mental fog is clearing is a good indication.
You may still need a higher dose of med, though.

About the muscle pain, you may need magnesium, too, to balance the calcium. I read we need twice as much magnesium as calcium, backing off both proportionally if the stool becomes loose.

I bumped up a thread with some of our stories, that you may find interesting/helpful.

Do you know your test results? If not, it is wise to get copies for your own records.
If you do, post them here, and we will try to help.

<p>[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 11-13-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread