It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

meema HB User
maca

I've read that some people on this board recommend taking maca. I'd be willing to try it, but I've also read read that maca contains high amounts of iodine. I thought adding supplemental iodine was a bad idea if one is hypothyroid. Am I confused?

Old 05-24-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: maca

Hi meema
If you can't get Maca without iodine, then I think you are correct.
Taking iodine when not proven deficient, and most Americans are not, is not good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2002, 10:19 AM   #3

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: maca

Welcome, Meema. Maca is a food that is rich in many vitamins and minerals (including iodine). I'm findnig that most websites won't quote actual RDAs of the vitamins and minerals present, as it varies with each root, so I can't verify if the website that says it's "rich in iodine" is more correct than the website that says it contains "traces of iodine."

A commercial website says:
<B>Active constituents:</B> Dried maca weighs in at about 60% carbohydrates (starches and sugars), 9% fiber, and slightly more than 10% protein. It has a higher lipid (fat) content than other root crops (2.2%), of which linoleic acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acid are the primary fatty acids, respectively. Maca is also a rich source of sterols, including sitosterol, campestrol, ergosterol, brassicasterol, and ergostadienol. From a mineral standpoint, maca exceeds both potatoes and carrots in value, and is a good source of iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium. Maca also contains iodine, manganese, copper, phosphorus, zinc and sodium and is a good source of amino acids and of vitamins B1, B2, B12, C and E.

Another website quotes the following, but doesn't indicate the amount of Maca to which this applies. My guess would be that this is the expected breakdown of nutrients in 500 mg of Maca (the typical amount in one capsule):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
MACA COMPOSITION
(AVERAGE)

Raw Energy (Kcal) 334
Moisture 9%
Protein 10%
Fat 1%
Carbohydrates 76%
Fiber 7%
Ash 5%

MINERALS
Calcium 258 mg
Phosphorous 189 mg
Iron 15 mg

VITAMINS
B2 0.39 mg
B6 1.14 mg
C 286 mg
Niacin 5.65 mg
Plus iodine, saponins, natural estrogen, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many foods contain iodine. I have not seen Maca promoted as an iodine supplement. My use of Maca has not altered my blood chemistry, but if you are concerned about your iodine intake, discuss it with your doctor.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 05-29-2002).]

Closed Thread