It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2001, 01:17 PM   #1

Judith HB User
?Lump in my throat/Hypothyroid

Hello:

I had RAI in 9/99 for Graves disease(Hyperthyroid). My levels according to bloodwork are "normal". I am a little concerned as for about the past 2 months I feel
as though there is a lump in the base of my neck/throat area. I dont really feel a lump from the outside, its more internal.
It seems to be in the location of the thyroid area. Its worse when I lay down. As I had my thyroid disolved by RAI,
can a nodule(s) come back, and if so could it cause this type symptom? I dont have any pain, but I am
feeling slight difficulty in swallowing(not sure if Im just thinking too much about it). I am in the middle of switching M.D.'s, so I will be making an appointment, but in the mean time I would like to hear if anyone out there has experienced a similar problem. I'm getting a little scared as I have never had a symptom like this, even when I had the Graves. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2001, 01:32 PM   #2

GirlWithIssues HB User
Re: ?Lump in my throat/Hypothyroid

You know??? I also have a hypothyroid and have recently experienced a "lump in my throat" feeling...i wondered if it had anything to do with my thyroid...hmmmmm..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2001, 12:46 PM   #3

ser HB User

Judith,

Was all of your thyroid destroyed? I have heard that if there was any left that it can relapse. I have also heard that if you have some cells left the thyroid can grow but be inactive. There was a post or an article that I have read in the past month about scar tissue build up...I think it was in the thyroid solution under the cancer section... and they some times have to go in and remove the build up.

But, as you know, the best source is your Dr. and the exam and tests. Keep us posted.

Old 03-08-2001, 01:00 AM   #4

Judith HB User

Hi Ser

Thanx for your post. I too have heard that occasionally people need to get zapped again with another dose of RAI, if the first dose didnt complete the job. As far as I understood the RAI was effective the first time. I would think another uptake scan to visualize any nodules may be required(as well as physical exam), as my thyroid blood levels are normal.
I am hoping a surgical procedure would not be necessary if there is indeed another nodule. I really do not want any surgery on my neck (or any place else for that matter). I should mention the only abnormal result from my blood tests was that of an elevated Thyroglob Antibody level. Normal range was 0-2.0, my level was 18.0.
My FORMER endo said this test in my case is basically meaningless as the elevated level is due to the destruction of my thyroid gland via the RAI?? who knows... Ill keep you posted once I see my new MD.
How are you doing?
Thanks again! Judith

Old 03-09-2001, 01:18 PM   #5

ser HB User

Judith,

I see a new Dr Tues. I have various problems of late. It makes me feel like I am a hypocondriacte. I know its not all in my head - there are physical signs and my husband who lives with me. Boy, did I luck out with him!!!

Other than that life is pretty good. My girls help me keep a perspective on things.

Thanks for asking. my normal answer is
"I am"

Closed Thread