It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2002, 05:34 PM   #1

RME HB User
Help from Vitamin Bs ???

I am wondering if anyone with hypothyroid uses vitamin B injections for a little extra energy, what kind, and if it works.

I've been hypo for 27 years, since I was 13. Every so often would try the meds, never made any difference, so couldn't see the point in taking them. Every time I had any medical problems all Drs would say is "Take your levoxyl" Well it never worked, even after taking it faithfully every day for a year. I told them and all they said is try it another 6 months.

Finally went to endocrinologist, he said I have hashimotos, also I am not converting t4 to t3 (?) He gave me t3 Cytomel. Started 2 weeks ago havent noticed a change yet, other than the usual dull achy sore throat is much worse now (Coincidence?)

I go back next week for re-check to see if we need to increase the dose. Was thinking about asking him for Vitamin B injections or something that may help. I've tried all kinds of vitamin tablets & drops, rocket fuel, bee pollen, etc. they do nothing for me.

I had asked my last Dr for B-injections, he refused saying they are for 'sick people' I guess having Zero Energy level and pains in every joint & muscle in my body does not classify me as sick?

I have a 3 year old - I NEED SOME ENERGY!!!

I feel bad/guilty for complaining when there are so many people out there who are worse off than I am - with more debilitating and terminal illness.... but I am so angry that the doctors have mis-diagnosed and dismissed me for nearly all my life. And I'm afraid that this new Dr, even though he seems to know and care more, will not be able to help me either.

Such a frustrating and complicated disease.

Thanks for any answers....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2002, 07:13 PM   #2

snowlodg HB User
Re: Help from Vitamin Bs ???

Hi RME,
I am taking T4 and T3 (both pills) and I am feeling alot better. You might want to try both of them at the same time. THe latest studies suggest that thsi is the best way to go. Even the New England Journal of Medicine says the studies have shown that patients do better with both. Good Luck

Old 04-20-2002, 11:06 AM   #3

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Help from Vitamin Bs ???

Welcome RME. If Levoxyl didn't work for you, perhaps you need a dosage increase or should change medications. If you're hypothyroid for 27 years without regular thyroid meds, it's no wonder you feel like you do.

You didn't mention if you were taking the Cytomel WITH Levoxyl or alone. Cytomel is T3 alone, and is good for short-term use alone but is generally given in combination with some T4 (synthroid, unithroid, levoxyl). There are also other options like Armour, Naturethroid that offer combinations of the thyroid metabolites (T4, T3, T2, T1) from animal sources, and Thyrolar (a synthetic of T4+T3).

It is possible that a combination or one of the many other meds available can help you alleviate your symptoms and return to normalcy. I hate to echo your doc, but taking your meds is extremely important. The next step is to find the med or combination of meds that work for you, and get you to levels that are appropriate to relieve your symptoms. Sit that doctor down and have a long chat. Sounds like something needs to change for you.

It is a long process to assimilate thyroid meds (4-6 weeks to reach a level of stasis with each dosage change), so try to be patient.

Vitamin B-complex is quite helpful (as are other supplements) for thyroid metabolism. I take a sublingual form (liquid under the tongue) called "B-Total" rather than get injections. Read through our Information Archive for other suggestions. <A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html</A>

And let us know what happens.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 04-20-2002).]

Closed Thread