It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2002, 12:32 AM   #1

JesterGirl HB User
Is it possible to be both Hypo and Hyper?

I seem to waver between the two. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but I really get symptoms from both hypo and hyper thyroidism. Any experience with this anyone??

Old 05-13-2002, 08:58 AM   #2

OKMom HB User
Re: Is it possible to be both Hypo and Hyper?

Hi Jestergirl,
Yes, I too, am having the same problems as you are. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 1995 and have been on .112 of thyroid hormone replacement for at least a couple of years now but have been on a thyroid rollercoaster since 1995. I also am on HRT for a complete hysterectomy that I had in late 1994. Only since I had strep and a viral upper respiratory illness, in March, has everything gone crazy again. I now feel hyperthyroid. Over the weekend I experienced like irritable bowel syndrome. Everything I ate gave me problems and is still not feeling well this morning. Then I have been so nervous like drinking a whole pot of coffee, many skipped heartbeats off an on all day, very itchy skin, headaches, muscle tension and aching, and my eyes are killing me. I don't know what that is all about but my eyes water, burn and are blurry when trying to read or look at the computer screen. I have fairly new glasses so I don't think that is it. I am not a nervous person and have no stress in my life anymore as I was able to quit my job in January and be an at home mom, to our 13 year old son and homemaker.
Since being sick I have been taking a mineral supplement that I found at my health food store and just realized that it has iodine in it and am beginning to wonder if that's not causing some or all of my thyroid problems. My doctor gave me a beta blocker last month that I have been only taking one 25mg a day of that but it's causing me to have super low blood pressure and a really slow heartbeat but I still have the skipping beats. The last three times I've had my blood pressure taken over the last 3 weeks it was like 102/54 with 60-70 beats a minute. I already have low blood pressure so this is really bringing me down. Actually, I am just a mess right now. I have an appointment with my doctor here in my hometown on Wednesday but am going to call her and see if I can come in sooner so that she can run some new blood tests. I also have an internist in a larger city near me but he strictly goes by blood tests, never an answer about my symptoms and never runs a complete thyroid panel on me. He strictly does the TSH which was within normal range before I got sick in March. I wonder if the high doses of antibiotics had something to do with the start of this whole thing? I don't know if the thyroid responds to antibiotics or not. And then I am wondering about the iodine in the minerals I was taking? I will let you know what I find out. Keep me posted too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2002, 12:03 PM   #3

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Is it possible to be both Hypo and Hyper?

Hi you two. Hashi's typically makes us fluctuate between hypo to hyper and back again. I address the symptoms by taking Maca, a Peruvian herb that is rich in Selenium (so it fights the thyroid antibodies while it supports the immune system). Maca is an adaptogen, so it helps with both hypo and hyper symptoms.

I've posted about it on Page 2 of the Information Archive thread, but you can also find out about it on Thyroid.About.com or by a generic web search.
<A HREF="http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa041801a.htm?terms=maca" TARGET=_blank>http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa041801a.htm?terms=maca</A>

Closed Thread