It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2002, 09:15 AM   #1

MissiM HB User
Goiter???

Hi All,
First I would like to thank all of you have been helping me throught his Hypo disorder.....
I went to see my DOC and he increased my meds without a blood test?! Altough I have been extrmemly tired he said I shouldn't have to wait again. I am on 150mcg of Levoxyl now. He also felt my thyroid and said it was enlarged he hoped it would not turn into a goiter?! So my question is how likely is it that this would happen? He said if we can get my levels down asap the chances would be better. 1 month ago I was at 10.7 and he thought it was probably higher now(which is why he increased my meds without the test) but to have the blood work done in 2 months and hopefully this increase will lower my levels. Anyone have a goiter and if so, how long before it appeared and can they remove the goiter? Sorry I have lots of questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2002, 11:31 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Goiter???

Hi MissiM. As you probably know, a goiter is a group of nodules that appears as an enlarged area on the neck. If your hypothyroidism and inflammation is due to thyroid antibodies (thyroiditis), it can lead to nodules and/or goiter. The speed with which a goiter grows varies from patient to patient. If it causes discomfort, it can be removed surgically (usually during a partial thyroidectomy).

EndocrineWeb describes the diagnosis, treatment, etc. quite well. <A HREF="http://www.endocrineweb.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.endocrineweb.com/</A>
(Click on the "Your Thyroid" link to start.)

Sounds like your doctor's increase of your meds is based on your discomfort and the enlarged thyroid. Many of us would LOVE to have a caring doctor like that who is more concerned with your well-being than with lab results that may or may not appear to be within "normal" limits. Thyroid meds are the typical treatment for thyroiditis and nodules. The theory is that the meds can slow and/or stop the growth or inflammation.

If not already done, you may want to ask for a thyroid antibodies blood test on your next visit. And, while you're at it, Free T3 and Free T4 along with that TSH. You can also try some supplements: Selenium (200 mcg/day) has been found to be helpful in reducing and sometimes eliminating thyroid antibodies. See Page 2 of the Information Archive thread for links about antibodies, selenium, and Maca (a Peruvian herb that contains selenium).

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2002, 02:15 PM   #3

MissiM HB User

I do love my DOC. My old doc wouldn't even discuss thyroid problems.....She constantly told me to get out and excersize.......My thyroid was the first thing this new doc thought of.....I have been blessed by finding him. However, I don't know why my thyroid doesn't work. He never called it anything but Hypo and I figured that was the name of it. I had no idea that there are several different types or reasons why it wouldn't work. I will assume that this is why I feel as though I have a lump in my throat?! And sometimes it sounds like it is scraping against something. I always assumed it was my TMJD I had to re-learn how to swallow from severe TMJD and I assumed that sometimes the muscles just didn't work right...Now I know.....
Once again I would like to thank all of you who have been so very knowlegable and caring to share your experiences and knowlegde!
Thanks again!

Old 05-14-2002, 12:55 PM   #4

FlamingStar HB User

Back in the '80's I was diagnosed with Goiter Thyroid during a routine physical. I was told it could be removed but decided not to have the surgery due to feeling no pain or discomfort from it.

At the time I was working in a nursing facility and told my nurse what I had. I asked her what would happen if I did not have the surgery. She told me that it would keep growing until it finally got so huge that I would be strangled by it. She then pointed out one of my residents who had a huge lump on the left side of her neck and said that was a goitered thyroid.

I went immediately to the phone and made an appointment to have the surgery. I was out of work for about a month or so but have had no problems since. I have a scar on my neck,where the collar bone is,but it is fading with time. I am not on my medication due to my levels being allright. I cannot have anything tight around my neck and sometimes feel like I'm choking but this is not often.

If you do have this I would suggest you have the surgery to have it removed as you will be glad you did.

------------------
Ā Flaming Star Ä

Old 05-14-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi MissiM,
You can trust your doctor to know if the goiter needs to be removed.
It can also be simply a swollen thyroid.
I had a goiter for many years, and when I got a high enough dose of thryoid hormone it went away.
An x-ray showed my thyroid did not have nodules.

I think it is better to see if taking thyroid hormone will cause it to shrink, before being concerned about surgery.
I have heard of TMJ symptoms from being hypothyroid.
There are so many reasons why a thyroid might fail that often we have no idea why ours did.

You are so blessed to have a doctor that listens to symptoms!

Old 05-15-2002, 09:46 AM   #6

MissiM HB User

Hi guys, Thanks for all your advice! It has really helped me. I go back to the Doc in June. I do feel a lumpy scratchy sensation in my throat, I will have him look at it again. I have to say, I love my DOC too. He has put me on 150mcg's of levoxyl and I am feeling better, although the throat thing is still there. I can actually go home from work and cook, walk the dogs, clean a little, read a little, watch some TV and go to bed by 10pm and feel fully rested when waking up at 6am. Here is the most amazing part I can Actually get thru the entire day without saying " I AM SO TIRED" It is like I am a whole new person. I hope that if people are not happy with the results of their docs they go find a new one. I did and HE saved my life!
God bless all of you, keep well!

Closed Thread