It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #1

JWalz HB User
Hypo/Hyper Thyroid

Hello, I am new to this board and thought that maybe I might find someone out there with similar symptoms as myself. Back in March I went and had my yearly check up with my physician which I passed with flying colors. My TSH was 4.275 at that time. All of my other blood work was fine also. Since that time I became sick with strep throat and an upper respiratory illness for which I was given a shot of penicillin and a prescription of Biaxin for my sinus infection. Since that time I have had symptoms of having hyperthyroid. I am having headaches, nervousness, chest pains, trouble sleeping, palipitations and skipped heartbeats, some intestinal cramping, lack of appetite, muscles twitches and my eyes feel like they have sand in them and I have trouble focusing at times. I guess what I am looking for is whether being on high doses of antibiotics can effect your thyroid? I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's back in 1995 and have been on Synthroid .112. I have been on this dose for approximately 2 years. I have had other times, since 1995, that I have felt like I am on the hyper side, not hypo, but then it usually goes away. This time it is much more severe. I have been on a roller coaster ride with this thyroid condition and just really don't understand everything. I have several books but I can't seem to find my answers in them. Is it possible for a person's thyroid to kick in and work for a while then go back to being hypo again? I have had one doctor tell me no way and another saying yes it's possible. I would love any input out there from those of you who might have an answer or two for me. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2002, 09:04 AM   #2

LoriP38 HB User
Re: Hypo/Hyper Thyroid

Im New to this board and have a question. I went to my doctors to get a refill on my paxil and I told her I have been REALLY really tired lately which she said can be from the Paxil. But she did a blood test for my Thyroid (cause I have a family history of Thyroid problems). I got a call 1 week later saying my Thyroid isnt working right, told me it was Hyper. And I was put on Synthyroid...My Question is everything I have read said Synthyroid is for Hypo....Im on .50 synthyroid and I feel worse now than before....I sweat ALL the time and dread the Hot weather. I feel Nervous, My hair is really thinning...and Im still SO tired!!

Thanks
Lori

Old 04-19-2002, 09:33 AM   #3

StephenM HB User

The SSRI antidepressants (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, etc.) can definitely cause drowsiness. Are you at or above what's considered the "therapeutic dose"? That's the typical amount prescribed, but it can make some people drowsy. If you're thin and/or short, you may not weigh enough to tolerate the therapeutic dose without noticeable side effects (a thin 5'3" woman I know can't tolerate 75mg of Zoloft without drowsiness, but a very heavy woman I know takes 200mg of Zoloft and is very energetic).

Old 04-20-2002, 08:24 AM   #4

LoriP38 HB User

I am 165 lbs and Im on 20 mg of paxil. I have been on Paxil for almost 1 year and its been the last 7 months I have been SO tired along with all the other annoying symptoms.

Old 04-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #5

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User

Because Hashimoto's thyroiditis is caused by antibodies, the body & symptoms (and the TSH) fluctuates between hypo and hyper. You may also have a combination of both at times. I don't know if taking antibiotics had anything to do with it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a connection between the infection you had and a flare-up of your Hashi's. (Viral thyroiditis is a known truth.)

Typical medical treatment is to give medication to override the body's natural production of thyroid hormone and regulate your levels. You may also want to try taking Selenium or Maca -- both of which are said to be helpful in minimizing and/or stopping the production of thyroid antibodies. I know that Maca helps me with a variety of symptoms, whether hyper or hypo.

You can read up about these in our Information Archive (page 2): <A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html</A>

Closed Thread