It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2001, 09:30 AM   #1

Karima HB User
TreeFrog: Vitamin questions......

Hi,
I have some questions regarding vitamin supplementation and hope you can help me out.
Because I am continuing to have the muscle pain in my legs, someone said to take an individual magnesium citrate, 200mgs. I already take a otc multi-vitamin/mineral but the magnesium levels is really low as are most of the other levels but my stomach has a problem handling large doses of vitamins.
I know that magnesium works well with Calcium, the ratio is 2:1, Magnesium to Calcium I think. But I cannot take any Calcium supplement no matter the strength because it causes bloating and diarrhea. I am lactose intolerant and need a source of calcium and was getting it from the Soy until I found out here that soy and synthroid are a no-no.
Can I take the Magnesium at that dose, 200mg. without a calcium supplement? Will it be effective?
I am going to try the sublingual B that you mentioned in another post to me but since I am going to the health food store, thought I would ask about the magnesium/calcium beforehand....thanks, again.

Old 12-29-2001, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: TreeFrog: Vitamin questions......

Hi Karima,
Coral calcium is one source of calcium for those that are lactose-intolerance. I have seen it advertised on the internet at the correct ratio with vit. D and magnesium. Just do a search. It may be available in health food stores.

You can take magnesium alone. It can have a laxative effect. If that happens, it is not the same as being lactose intolerant. Simply take less magnesium.

Starting with 200 mg magnesium is fine. You can take more or less, depending when it lossens your stool too much.

Someone else recommended the sub-lingual B. I take regular B 100 complex, in pills.
B vitamins are water-soluable and easily digested.
BUT, because they are, we have to take what we need every day, as excess is washed out of our systems.

Be sure to always take vitamins with food since you get indigestion. I take just a few at a time, wait an hour or so and take the others. Some are oil-soluable, some are water soluable.

Never take supplements WITH your thyroid med, to avoid making it ineffective. Wait at least one hour between thyroid med and other foods/supplements. Take other hormones about 12 hours apart from thyroid hormone.

Do you take selenium?
That is very important to thyroid med usability, and to joint strength/wellness. Be sure you are getting at least 100 mg. daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2001, 10:51 AM   #3

Karima HB User

Hi TreeFrog,
Gee, that you for the heads up on the coral calcium. Will look into that. You are right about not telling me about the sublingual B...it was ArtfulD who was also very instructive about vitamin therapy too.
I really don't get enough selenium. I had purchased it individually to take with my Vitamin E. I tried two well-known name brands from the health food store and had to return both because of the strong odor that comes from it. So I get some in the multi vitamin/mineral otc but it is not 100mc, it is 20mcg.
Thank you, Karima

Old 12-29-2001, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi,
I buy my selenium at Walmart. It is easily digestable and doesn't need special treatment. Mine doesn't smell at all. You do need more selenium than the multiple is providing.

Closed Thread