It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2001, 08:33 PM   #1

Angie E HB User
Strange lump in my throat..

In the last three weeks, I've had this strange feeling of a lump in my throat. It doesn't hurt, my voice hasn't changed, I don't have a cold or symptoms of cold or flu. I can no longer take vitamins or large pills. I can just press the base of my throat slightly and want to gag. Here's the catch...

I had my thyroid and one parathyroid removed 10 years ago, so I know it's not a goiter. I plan on going to the dr. for it after the holidays, but I wanted to know if someone out there who has had a complete thyroidectomy has ever had a problem with scar tissue...I don't know if that is the problem, but the feeling is in the same place as my scar. I don't feel a lump or anything. Usually, we can push down at the base of our thoats right above the bone and make an indention. I can't do that now. I'm not in pain, I'm not running a fever or anything like that. The only way I can explain it is that it feels like after my thyroidectomy when they removed my stitches and my throat started swelling. I did what they told me to in the hospital which is drink cold water and eat ice and it hasn't helped. I've tried everything, water, hot tea, cold tea, coffee, coke. The margarita made me forget about it for a while, so it was the most effective!

Any ideas out there?

Angie E

Old 12-31-2001, 08:56 AM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Strange lump in my throat..

Hi Angie E. I had a total thyroidectomy just over a year ago, and I've also noticed the feeling of a lump or something in my throat that started a few months ago. My scar has changed as well -- I now have a dimple in the middle of my neck. I don't feel a lump, and my neck & scar is smooth to the touch.

When I swallow, it feels like there's something catching on the left side. My doctors don't seem to be concerned about it, but I've wondered if it's scar tissue or something else. I'm about to have my first follow-up scan in a couple of weeks. The results will help determine if there's a cancer recurrence or growth of extraneous thyroid tissue, though there's a slim chance of each because I had RAI after the surgery.

Wish I had a helpful suggestion for you. All I can do is concur and say I've experienced the same.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 12-31-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2002, 09:21 AM   #3

Angie E HB User
Re: Strange lump in my throat..

Thanks for your reply!

After I had my thyroidectomy 10 years ago, immediately after surgery, I had a huge swelling the size of a goose egg on my throat. The dr.'s all said it was normal due to the trauma to the muscle tissue. It went away in about 6 weeks. My scar was also bright purple for a couple of years, but today, it's not even noticeable. I'm pretty sure they removed all of my thyroid, having to remove a parathyroid to get it all.

Hope your scan turns out well! I have a feeling my problem is probably just scar tissue...

Angie

Closed Thread