It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2002, 10:36 AM   #1

theewilliams HB User
thank you!

thank you all that have posted! I found this board by chance but boy am I glad I did! I have been suffering for TEN YEARS! Thought I was loosing it! Have been treating symptoms with Doc for what seems like forever and have asked if there was any connection with the thyroid. Not one believed there to be! They all ran the tests and I've always been "normal". Wish I could say I always felt "normal". Now amoungst you all, I atleast feel a little more normal.

I am empowered now to ask MORE questions and now have more knowledge to be more insistant. Made Doc appointments this morning with my internal with a request for info on endocrinologists in my local area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: thank you!

Hi theewilliams,
Good for you!
Keep us posted!

You are so welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #3

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User

Glad you de-lurked, theewilliams.

It's amazing how helpful and enlightening sharing our symptoms can be.

Welcome to the conversation.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:28 AM   #4

theewilliams HB User

It is amazing how helpful it is to share symptoms! and for that reason I thought i might share mine....

In the ten years since the removal of my thyroid (through radioactive iodine) I have been dx'd with depression, anxiety, cronic fatigue, and cronic inflamatory sinus (something)(not to mention all the ideas my Husband had on the subject of "lack of interest"). Have been treated for the symptoms of all and two years ago I stopped ALL medications except for the synthroid (now levoxyl), in order to take a good long look at how things are without the question of side effects from the meds.

Mostly its like trying just to get through the day in hopes of a better tomorrow. The feeling of self-loss is really bad. I was always so spunky had such a want to LIVE life not just get through it. I have monthly anxiety attacks (which i just read my be attributed to the adrenal-therefore Its on my list of test to be run), I loose my hair (much more than the "normal" 60 strands per day), I'm cold yet I have an angry sweat which when that occurs "LOOK OUT"! I, gosh there seems to be so much. the blank stares, sleeplessness is a monthly accurance (thank heavens not nightly). At times I feel like my insides are moving soooo fast yet I'm too tired to catch up to it. I am without a thyroid yet I can not GAIN an ounce. I loose it! Scary for me. irritable (did I mention that?). My poor kids! It takes a lot and I fight what I'm feeling to try to not jump the gun (so to speak) with my kids. This fog in my head has made it difficult to set good examples. Organization and regular schedules are hard to keep.

Well I'm in a sort of rambling mood this morning. Thanks for you sharing your experiences and knowledge and for giving me somewhere to go. To ramble.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Hi, theewilliams,

Going through your list of symptoms, I woud say that most likely you have some eadrenal issues liek you were saying. Especially the anxiety and the fact that you can't gain weight (classic adrenal weakness symptom).

Another thing that is common with adrenal fatigue is that the pattern tha tthe body produces cortisol is out of sync somehow so that instead of having high levels in the morning like you are supposed to, you have high levels in the evening. This is a reason that many people are "night" people. I know it is a part of the reason I am. If you do an all day urine test in this case, the average for the day will be "normal" and the doctor won't treat you. If you do a morning or "8am" Cortisol test, it would show low, though. Treating with a low dose of cortisol (Cortef 20mg a day split up like this: 12.5mg early morning and 7.5 mg noon) for a few months can often get this back on track.

Just food for thought.

Old 01-08-2002, 01:06 PM   #6

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User

Hi theewilliams. The deductive reasoning approach you're taking (eliminating all meds but synthroid) sounds like an excellent start. And do check out your adrenal levels as Meep says.

Do you have an Endocrinologist who listens? If not, it may be time to search one out. I don't know if you have someone following your Free T3, Free T4, and TSH levels, but it sounds like it's time for a checkup. You may need a medication adjustment and/or some herbal/supplement help to return you to balance.

Have you had these symptoms for the full 10 years since your RAI ablation, or was there a time when you felt better? If you had the RAI because you were hyperthyroid, is it possible you might be over-medicated with too much synthroid because, when last balanced by a physician, you were so used to hyper symptoms and that it was what felt "normal" to you?

Would you post your story in our stories thread (now two pages long)?
<A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045-2.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045-2.html</A>

Hang in there.

Closed Thread