It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2001, 05:37 PM   #1

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Holistic Treatments Anyone?

This post is originally from Lynda on 12/6/01. I thought I'd start a new thread to get greater feedback:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What are your thoughts on the role nutrition plays and what other holistic treatments have you or anyone else here looked into. At this point since I have such a wait, I thought I would take the time to really look into alternative treatments. Can't hurt!

Lynda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 12-06-2001, 05:54 PM   #2

Re: Holistic Treatments Anyone?

Hi Lynda. I'm a huge fan of holistic therapies. I see an Acupuncturist (who is also a Chinese herbalist) regularly, and a Chiropractor/Homeopath as needed.

I opted to have a total thyroidectomy to treat my thyroid cancer because I come from a family of physicians who were extremely nervous that I was considering holistic methods instead of surgery. I knew that their uncertainty could affect my ability to heal myself, so I was practical. However, my acupuncturist has treated cancerous and non-cancerous nodules and was quite certain he would be able to help.

I continued to see my acupuncturist (needles and herbs) and chiropractor (glandular balancing and homeopathy) before, during, and after my surgery. And I strongly recommend using alternative medicine as supplemental care. I am quite certain that the care I received was instrumental in how quickly I healed.

Please note that I'm not recommending that people with cancer use alternative therapies without seeking the advice of a western physician. Or that those who need thyroid meds forego their prescriptions and instead seek nutritional options. I realize that this is a sensitive subject. There are commercial websites that promote the use of certain supplements to "cure" thyroiditis, hypothyroid, and hyperthyroid conditions. Many of these supplements include high doses of iodine, and I do not know if this could actually be harmful. But there are certainly nutritional and herbal supplements that can be helpful.

My best recommendation is to consult a trained nutritionist, herbalist, or other practitioner regarding supplements that sound applicable to your condition. What works for one of us may not work for others.

Comments? Questions? Feedback?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2001, 05:14 AM   #3

Lynda HB User

ArtfulD, once again thank you. I sure wish that alternative medicine was covered by insurance! I am looking forward to reading what people think on this subject!
Lynda

Old 12-07-2001, 10:45 AM   #4

Lynda HB User

This link came to my e mail just today.... Talks about alternative methods of treatment vs. RAI... <A HREF="http://thyroid.about.com/library/books/aafprgravesbook.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://thyroid.about.com/library/books/aafprgravesbook.htm</A>

Old 12-07-2001, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Since you are bringing up "holistic" whole body approaches, don't overlook nutrition... Make sure you are eating the right things and are not eating the wrong things. There is a list of foods to avoid in the "Information Archive" (http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html) and the book, 'Solved: The Riddle of Illness' has advice on how to eat properly to nourish your thyroid.

Old 12-07-2001, 01:02 PM   #6

Meep!! I was hoping you'd post in on this one. You seem to have the most knowledge about nutritional supplements, and I truly believe this can help support (or even help resolve in mild cases) thyroid problems.

Old 12-07-2001, 02:42 PM   #7

Lynda HB User

Thanks Meep! Now that I know where I am as far as blood tests go, I am going back to re read the archive again!
I did call the endo today and let them know that I have been having palpatations and not sleeping at all, but they have not called me back..... yawn!

Closed Thread