It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2002, 07:31 AM   #1

JWalz HB User
Thyroid and Adrenals

Can anyone give me information on symptoms of adrenal insuffiencies? I have had Hashimoto's since 1995 and am beginning to think that I might have adrenal weakness or failure. I just recently had strep throat and an upper respiratory illness that took forever for me to get over, even with antibiotics and then when I was over that I was left with extreme nervousness, chest pains, fast heartbeat and irregular heatbeats, stomach problems, headaches, signs of hypoglycemia, muscle aches and just a general feeling of not well. I was doing fine and feeling fine until I got sick although I have had other times in the past 5 years of where I have had these symptoms before that eventually went away on their own. This time they were much more severe. I don't understand enough of all of this and how to approach my doctor. I just had a complete physical in March where all my blood tests and urine tests were fine. I became sick after having my physical. My thyroid TSH was 4.275, which he was happy with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2002, 11:20 AM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Thyroid and Adrenals

Welcome, JWalz. Many of us would feel quite ill with your TSH. It varies from person to person, but most of us feel best when our TSH is below 1.0.

The Information Archive link I posted to your other thread also includes data about adrenals and links to helpful websites.

<A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html</A>

I believe most of the adrenal information is at the end of Page 1 and on Page 2. Definitely read up about Maca. It may be helpful to you.

There is also a lot of good information at <A HREF="http://www.endocrineweb.com," TARGET=_blank>http://www.endocrineweb.com,</A> both for thyroid and adrenals.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 04-20-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2002, 02:11 PM   #3

JWalz HB User

Thanks,ArtfulD, I appreciate your input and information.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:26 AM   #4

twinsister HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWalz:
<B> Can anyone give me information on symptoms of adrenal insuffiencies? I have had Hashimoto's since 1995 and am beginning to think that I might have adrenal weakness or failure. I just recently had strep throat and an upper respiratory illness that took forever for me to get over, even with antibiotics and then when I was over that I was left with extreme nervousness, chest pains, fast heartbeat and irregular heatbeats, stomach problems, headaches, signs of hypoglycemia, muscle aches and just a general feeling of not well. I was doing fine and feeling fine until I got sick although I have had other times in the past 5 years of where I have had these symptoms before that eventually went away on their own. This time they were much more severe. I don't understand enough of all of this and how to approach my doctor. I just had a complete physical in March where all my blood tests and urine tests were fine. I became sick after having my physical. My thyroid TSH was 4.275, which he was happy with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-21-2002, 09:35 AM   #5

twinsister HB User

JWalz...I forgot mainly what you asked...info on the adrenals. I had a complete and thorough test of the adrenals, a blood test and also the spit test where you spit in these tubes for a few days at certain times and then they were sent out of state to be tested...mine came out fairly normal so I'm still thinking medications must have some bareing on what we experience with the Hashimotos.??? Twinsister

Old 04-21-2002, 09:42 AM   #6

twinsister HB User

JWalz...it appears my first post did not come through...where I explained I too have the exact symptoms you suffer with...when I had strep last year and was on antibiotics I had the same thing happen. I am beginning to wonder if the medications has something to do with interfering with the thyroid. Are you on thyroid meds? I am not...I flucuate to much...one time my TSH is 15, then 8, then 10, it's crazy. I have a terrible time with mediation as I am now on antibiotics for Lyme disease...I am experiencing the same symptoms you are now. Don't know where to go from here but thought I'd let you know I tested for adrenals and that went okay for me. Twinsister

Old 04-21-2002, 12:30 PM   #7

JWalz HB User

Hi Twinsister,
Thank you for your response. I am sorry that you suffer with the same symptoms as I. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies. Yes, I do take Synthroid .112 for my Hashimoto's but have notice that I have backed off of them for a few days and I am not having as many chest pains as before. Prior to getting sick with strep and an upper respiratory illness, my thyroid levels were good for me but after being so sick is when everything went crazy. I still think that adrenals are involved somehow as I really had trouble getting over being sick. It's the hypoglycemia symptoms that trouble me so much also, even when I watch what I eat and try to eat small meals often. I have started taking something called Adrenal Essence, which is a liquid that you put under your tongue and I am taking extra B vitamins with a separate B12. I had gone to a holistic doctor, last week, who told me to try the Adrenal Essence and extra B Vitamins for a while to see if it made a difference. She said it would take several weeks to notice anything. I am thinking of ordering the saliva test just to see what it says. I have an appointment to return to my family doctor on May 15th and will approach her on what info I have read and found out. Let's keep in touch and maybe we can help each other, at least give each other moral support. Thanks, Jan

Old 04-21-2002, 09:20 PM   #8

twinsister HB User

Hi Jan...I too wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy...it's horrible.
Your doctor will have to order the saliva test for you and hopefully he is in agreement to do that as some doctors think the blood test is good enough for testing adrenals. I was fortunate as one of my dearest friends is a doctor and she ordered it for me. There are not many labs that do the saliva sort of test but my friend checked the lab that was out of state for me and said it was a very good source to use and she would use this lab herself for testing more often. If you would like I could look up the name of the lab for you so that your doctor can order the test for you, at present I do not remember the name...hang in there friend. Twinsister

Closed Thread