It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2002, 01:31 PM   #1

CrystalBaca HB User
Is there any angel out there that can help?

Does anyone know if your ESR level has anything to do with Thyroid. I know a normal ESR level is 1-20 mine is 50 it went from 40 about a month ago and now it's getting higher. Went I went to the ER they said it could be thyroid I'mnot sure all I know is a feel really sick, dizzy, tired and I lose feeling in my leg for a few minutes also my hands and feet go numb. Can anyone tell me if it could be Thyroid thanks!

Old 05-28-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Is there any angel out there that can help?

It definitely is not related to thyroid though it is often run to look for things that cause similar symtoms to thyroid. According to Medline, the test is:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A nonspecific screening test for various diseases. The test measures the distance (in millimeters) that red blood cells settle in unclotted blood toward the bottom of a specially marked test tube in 1 hour.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) can be used to monitor inflammatory or malignant disease, rheumatic fever, and acute myocardial infarction. Although it is a screening test (not considered diagnostic for any particular disorder), it is useful in detecting and monitoring tuberculosis, tissue necrosis (tissue death), rheumatologic disorders, or an otherwise unsuspected disease in which symptoms are vague or physical findings are minimal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for your symptoms being thyroid related, possibly yes and possibly no. I would look into reasons why the ESR level is rising, since this seems to be indicating a problem that is progressing, and my be contributing to your symptoms or making them worse.

Interpretations, acording to Medline:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Elevated values occur with:
kidney disease
pregnancy
rheumatic fever
rheumatoid arthritis
severe anemia
syphilis
systemic lupus erythematosus
thyroid disease
tuberculosis

Markedly elevated values occur with:
giant cell (temporal, cranial) arteritis
multiple myeloma
macroglobulinemia - primary
hyperfibrinogenemia (elevated fibrinogen levels in the blood)
necrotizing vasculitis
polymyalgia rheumatica<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2002, 04:10 PM   #3

SusanM HB User
Re: Is there any angel out there that can help?

I know that an elevated sed rate can be an indication of inflammation in the body. That's why it is usually elevated with disorders like lupus, arthritis etc. I have had autoimmune thyroiditis, and to my knowledge my sed rate has never been elevated when it's been tested. I've been tested for esr several times because my doc and I have been looking for possible lupus diagnosis.

Closed Thread