It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2000, 10:28 AM   #1

RubyD HB User
What should I ask for when I get my thyroid checked?

I am going to the doctor next week to get my thyroid checked. It was normal one year ago, but my symptoms are much worse now.

I know I should ask for T3 and T4 levels to be checked, but is there anything else I should know? My dad (who is hyperthyroid) said something about the thyroid blood test has to be done separate from other blood tests in order to be accurate... anyone know if this is true?

Also, if anyone knows of any other tests to ask for in case it isn't my thyroid, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2000, 11:05 AM   #2

JB* HB User
Re: What should I ask for when I get my thyroid checked?

Hi: I think the three most important tests to start with for thyroid are Free T3, Free T4 and TSH. I think someone once mentioned that the Free T3 should be above 4, and some (most?) women feel better when their TSH is around 1, altho Dr.'s normal ranges are from .5 - 6. Get a copy of your results. Don't just let them tell you they are "normal". I think you start with them and then go from there. There are a lot of other tests also but probably your Dr. won't do them until the results are in from these.
<p>[This message has been edited by JB* (edited 12-04-2000).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread