It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2001, 09:02 PM   #1

Mstronique HB User
Maca

I just started using Maca today. I took one 500mg capsule three times with meals. Has anyone had any side effects taking it? Has it helped you in any way and how soon before you saw any results?
My doctor increased my Synthroid to .75 a day. This was only a week ago. I don't get another blood test for 8 weeks. The increase has seemed to help in the depression department but I am still tired and can't really do the things I want to do. I know it takes time but I am so tired of feeling lousy. That is why I started the Maca.

Old 11-17-2001, 11:01 AM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Maca

Hi Mstronique. No side effects for me yet. I started my dose on 24Oct. I've had some headaches, but I believe they're due to seasonal changes because they're matching my typical migraine patterns and don't seem to change with my Maca intake.

I take Maca once in the evening, but it seems to wear off by about 3:00p. I'd be interested in hearing how your split dose works for you.

It's helped me with body ache, and my libido has returned. (Nice of it to remember me after all these years.)

Read our Maca post for other's comments: <A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000784.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000784.html</A>

And stay in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2001, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi Mstronique,
I have irregularly been taking Maca for a couple of weeks. I sprinkle mine on toast, or mix it in milk, and eat it in the morning. I have the powdered kind.

I noticed some libdo change for the better, I think. I may have more energy. I am not sure of this.
I just switched to Armour thyroid, too, so who knows which is doing what.

Give yourself time...it can take months to get well on thyroid med...also there are many things we have to do to help ourselves overcome symptoms. The med alone doesn't fix it all.
The book, The Thyroid Solution is really helpful in this department.

Old 11-22-2001, 10:26 PM   #4

Mstronique HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tree Frog:
<B>Hi Mstronique,

Give yourself time...it can take months to get well on thyroid med...also there are many things we have to do to help ourselves overcome symptoms. The med alone doesn't fix it all.
The book, The Thyroid Solution is really helpful in this department.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tree Frog,
I do have the book and it is a great help but it also makes me think that I will never feel really great. I have been on the Maca about a week now. I take three 500 mg caps a day with meals. I haven't seen much of a difference yet. I guess I am just impatient because it has been so long since I felt really good.
As for the Maca, didn't you suggest to be on it for two weeks and then off of it for two weeks? I thought I read that somewhere (brain dead again!)
I really think this Healthboard is such a help. I have found out more information here than anywhere else. Thanks to you and everyone else too.

Old 11-23-2001, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi Mstronique,

I know what you mean about feeling like we will never feel great again.
But just because you have not felt great again, YET, does not mean you never will! Try to remember that what we feel at the time is not the whole future's reality. Thinking this way just adds stress, and stress makes the symptoms worse.

As for myself, I think if we got out of shape physically due to fatigue, and not eating right, it is very hard to get back on track to feel really great. Not impossile, but very difficult. It takes a lot of self-disciple and motivation to do what it takes to get back in youthful, optimum shape.

Someone did say take the Maca two weeks on and two off. Since it is just a (highly nutritional) food, I am not clear on why one needs to do that. Perhaps someone has an answer.

Try to allow yourself healing time! TF

Old 11-24-2001, 09:14 AM   #6
(female)

zarla HB User

Hi there,
Ive been on Maca for two weeks, then two off. I have had the worst week for a long time. Can't wait to get back on the Maca today.

Old 11-24-2001, 10:37 AM   #7

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User

Hi Guys. I was the one who mentioned something about taking the Maca 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. The websites I read recommended this scenario for any long-term use of an herbal supplement. I have since read that 3 months on/1 month off is also appropriate. I think the idea is that your body shouldn't get "too used" to having the herbal around, so it continues to be effective.

Spoke to my acupuncturist/herbalist about it, and he said there was no need for me to stop taking the Maca right now. My system really seems to need it, and he's does not believe that the herb is going to lose its effectiveness if I take it for several months without a break.

So I'm staying on it for now. And enjoying the benefits. Although I must say the body ache came back recently. He had me add colloidal silver (tastes like water) to my regime for the next two weeks, as my pulses indicated that the ache was unrelated to thyroid. Seems to be working.

Best of health to you all.

Closed Thread